worming advice...?

General chat about kunekune pigs
avons82

worming advice...?

Post by avons82 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:20 pm

hellooooo! :D

just wondering at what age piggies can come off the worming injections and onto the liquid / tablets?

what other sort would you recommend?

I don'treally want to take mine to the vets if I can avoid it...

what decides how often pigs should be wormed?

thanks so much!

:)
Owner to: 2 kunekune, 2 cats, 2 dogs, one old bunny, a guineapig, a skinny pig, a tortoise and 15 fish! All rescues! :D

wendy scu

Post by wendy scu » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:02 pm

hellooooo :D
i think once they get past weaning age you can use any wormer you like really as long as you keep an eye on them for skin parasites. (liquied etc will only take care of internal parasites).
how often you do them will depend on how much ground you have them on and how clean it is. if you rotate them then they shouldnt need doing so often but if they are always on the same patch i would do them every 6 months

avons82

Post by avons82 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:48 pm

oh and what age is past weaning!??? sorry :oops:

is it to do with their poo?

mine have the same large patch so will prob need doing every 6 months then..

thanks wendy!
Owner to: 2 kunekune, 2 cats, 2 dogs, one old bunny, a guineapig, a skinny pig, a tortoise and 15 fish! All rescues! :D

claire86

Post by claire86 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:57 pm

Yep, I agree with Wendy pretty much! Don't forget, you can always take some faecal samples to your vet who will be more than happy (!) to check for worm eggs to determine if and when you need to worm. If they are on the same pasture, they will potentially be more exposed hence more regular worming.
Horse owners are now being encouraged to worm only after a positive faecal sample due to the build up of resistance so I have no doubt pig keeping may soon go the same way.

ps. weaning from around 8 weeks of age :)

HappyHippy

Post by HappyHippy » Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:03 am

You can also buy a worm count kit from an internet company called Supplies for Smallholders for around ?10. I've used them and can vouch that they are reputable (but am not on commission :wink: ) They send you a little pot into which you pop a 'sample' and send it off, they post you the results. Simples :lol: and cheaper than the vet !