'Little' pigs?

General chat about kunekune pigs
Pandora

'Little' pigs?

Post by Pandora » Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:21 pm

As I see Wendy is now breeding these 'little Swedish pigs' and says they are pedigrees... please can I clarify what the situation is regarding size - how big are they full-grown?

I post in my marketing classified adverts, and also tell people, that the kunekune is the smallest recognised breed of pig in the WORLD, (as stated on the society webpage):
"There is no breed of pig called the mini, micro, miniature or teacup pig." and... "The smallest breed of domesticated pig in the world is the kunekune."

I would not wish to mislead anyone if this is no longer the case? With all the micro/mini hoo-hah circus going on now, I feel my integrity as a reputable KK breeder is at question here, if someone challenges me. :?
Never test the depth of the water with both feet!

ambriel

Post by ambriel » Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:54 pm

I've no idea but they do look very cute, don't they? :)

wendy scu

Post by wendy scu » Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:50 pm

the little Swedish pigs are about 16" at full grown.

They are not a recognised breed so the information regarding the kunekune is correct.
They do have pedigrees with them ( or breeding history if you like) as they have been bred by the same person for 20 years and she has recorded all the matings and breeding of them. when i breed mine ( i haven't yet but will do when i import a boar) i shall continue the breeding record so they will, in effect, have pedigrees with them.

Pandora

Post by Pandora » Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:29 pm

Many thanks for clarifying that Wendy, there seems to be so much scepticism and accusation flying about... I wanted to be ready with the correct answer.
Never test the depth of the water with both feet!