new piglet..?

General chat about kunekune pigs
avons82

new piglet..?

Post by avons82 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:24 pm

Hi!

I've seen a male 8 week old "kunekune" in need of a home.

What age can boars be castrated? Is it vital they are castrated? Does it effect their temperament (as with dogs?) sorry if that's a silly question!

What are the main questions / things I should look out for if I go to see this piglet?

It is not a pedigree Kune, as the mum was pedigree but not the farther.

Thanks so any info / tips!

:) amey
Owner to: 2 kunekune, 2 cats, 2 dogs, one old bunny, a guineapig, a skinny pig, a tortoise and 15 fish! All rescues! :D

ambriel

Post by ambriel » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:37 pm

No problem with castrating at 8 weeks although a vet will need to do it.

Castrates won't grow tusks (or so I'm told - I've yet to put it to the test.)

Do you know what breed the sire was? It might have a bearing upon the eventual size of the fuly grown pig.

One other thing - one pig on his own won't be as happy as a pig with company. We got three for just this reason.

Where abouts in the UK is the piggie?

wendy scu

Post by wendy scu » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:18 pm

castrating at 8 weeks plus will be a general anesthetic operation so will cost.

castrates do grow tusks - just as a boar would.
it is vital that you have him castrated otherwie he will live a miserable lonely life on his own and they can become unpleasant if frustrated :(

i agree with Ambriel - the fathers breeding will have a bearing on what you will end up with - it may not be much of a kunekune in the end.

best of luck :)

avons82

Post by avons82 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:56 am

Thanks for your replies!

I'm hoping the breeder will offer to castrate him...

I was surprised at him being rehomed as a single piggy - but he;'s the last of the last litter. The breeder is giving up breeding as she's had so many people buying and then complaining after thinking the piggies could live indoors and be carried around in your handbag, as they are in the tv programmes!

He's in Cambridge.

I would plan on pairing him up for sure - I don't want him to be lonely! Is this best done as young as possible? Would it matter if there was an age gap?

Will find out what the father was - a kunekune cross I think - he's now been rehomed to a petting farm.

Not sure how responsible this "breeder" is.. sounds like she was in it for a quick bit of cash originally. But she does want him to go to a good, responsible home (and I think I'm the only person who has enquired sensibly and asked proper pig questions!)

It's not definite - I still need to convince my fiance!! :lol:
Owner to: 2 kunekune, 2 cats, 2 dogs, one old bunny, a guineapig, a skinny pig, a tortoise and 15 fish! All rescues! :D

avons82

Post by avons82 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:05 am

She says that both parents were kunekune - just the sire wasnt a pedigree.

doesnt that mean he was crossed with something then?? :shock:

wendy scu

Post by wendy scu » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:13 am

It is the breeder's responsibility to castrate him - it says all over this website that boars must not be sold uncastrated - is she a member of the BKKPS?

i would say the reason that people have complained about the pigs after they have bought them is because this breeder has sold them into unsuitable environments and not given the customers the correct information at the time of sale. We could all sell dozens of piglets a year if we sold them to every numpty that came along in high heels to find one that matched her curtains!

An age gap shouldn't be a problem - even piglets will have a little fight when you mix them as the pecking order has to be sorted but just keep an eye on them - its usually sorted in the first day

If the sire wasn't pedigree you have no proof of what he was but he may be a kunekune that was just sold on by someone who didn't bother to register him. does make me wonder why she was breeding from an unregistered boar when she could have got herself a registered one, bred pedigree piglets, sold them for more and kept my blood pressure down! :evil:
Have you seen him?

avons82

Post by avons82 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:19 am

Hi wendy! :D

She says she won't be castrating him ("its up to the new owners").

will ask about he BKKPS but I doubt it!

She just told me that pigs are quite happy living alone or in pairs so I'm guessing this woman is clueless! :twisted: Which we all know is rubbish!

The only pic I've seen is on the gumtree ad:

http://www.gumtree.com/p/community/kune ... e/76570018

I'm guessing he's cheap as he's not a guaranteed kunekune breed.

Poor little mite! I hate to think of someone getting him, keeping him on his own, indoors and then getting rid as soon as he's bigger than a jack russell!

:( :( :( :( :(

wendy scu

Post by wendy scu » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:21 pm

i meant have you seen the boar, not the piglet, although i would proceed with caution as the photo of the piglet looks nothing like a kunekune :( although in my opinion a pig is a pig, a few inches in height won't make any difference - if you have the room and the committment :)

avons82

Post by avons82 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:56 pm

Thanks Wendy...

No I haven't seen the boar - he's been rehomed to a petting farm.

Though I'd like to give this little (and probably due to be bog!) fella a loving, stable home, the "breeder" seems a little weird and a bit cagey with her answers to my questions - I'd ideally like to get two proper rescue kunes - so I may hold on.

Thanks for all your help though! :D

wendy scu

Post by wendy scu » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:08 pm

keep an eye on the rehoming page of this site if you decide to do that,
thanks
Wendy

avons82

Post by avons82 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:11 pm

thanks!

I have been doing since I started looking last year - but there never seems to be any piggies Kent way! :(

I'll keep looking though!

ambriel

Post by ambriel » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:40 pm

That was my immediate thought - doesn't look like our Kunes when they were piglets. It's not a brilliant photo though. Is that banana skins and apple peelings she's been feeding him?

avons82

Post by avons82 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:52 pm

hmmm yeah it looks like that! :shock:

oooh i feel sorry for the little fella! He's gonna get sold just as a singleton.. :(

Darrell

Post by Darrell » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:24 pm

Hi Amey, try this lady; Cheryl 07534953708 she needs to re home all her kunes due to divorce and loss of land.She is in Essex but she does have castrated male piglets which could easily be moved by car to kent.

wendy scu

Post by wendy scu » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:29 pm

well done Darrell, forgot all about Cheryl :(