Electric Fencing

General chat about kunekune pigs
jenhix

Electric Fencing

Post by jenhix » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:11 am

Finally got my electric fence set up over the weekend so looking forward to getting some grass back for summer! One of my gilts started to approach it straight away, but after a quick zap on the nose I doubt she'll be doing that again, she ran away from it and just stood there for a while. I think she was (excuse the pun) shocked by the whole thing, but after a good belly rub she was ok again! Went down again this morning and they were a lot more cautious about greeting me too close to the fence, thank god they're quick learners!

truella

Post by truella » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:02 pm

Electric fence is a great thing, they certainly do respect it...........but are VERY good at knowing when its not turned on too! :lol:
Mind over Matter...........You don't mind, it doesn't matter!!!!!

wendy scu

Post by wendy scu » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:07 am

i must have thick ones then as i rarely use a battery at all and they all stay in :D

jenhix

Post by jenhix » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:47 pm

Me too, I went down today to discover the battery needs charging and the fence wasn't on, but the pigs still kept a safe distance!

Kroon

Post by Kroon » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:09 pm

My kunekune gilts Emma and Rosa regularly tested our electric fence on their sister Plum. Our daughters sometimes forgot to put the power back on again after horse riding. Emma and Rosa often threw their sister Plum against the fence. If Plum didn?t scream they pushed her under it, and followed (after lots of hesitating) after a few minutes. Though job to get them back in again, especially after they discovered our neighbour?s neglected kitchen garden! :roll:
One day all the neighbouring horse riding lessons even had to be discontinued, because of the terrible screeching of three indignant little gilts who were carried back to their field.

Our castrate Joe goes through every electric fence. He takes a run (a man?s got to do what a man?s got to do :D ), starts screaming even before the current hits him and passes the fence racing. Joe is now completely fenced in (together with his mate boar Jasper) in a field with gates, wires and electric fences.

Dianne (Netherlands)