Sellers beware!

General chat about kunekune pigs
wendy scu

Sellers beware!

Post by wendy scu » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:27 pm

I have just taken my third phone call today from people wanting rid of their pigs.

they are coming in so fast at present i am having difficulty making time to put them on the rehoming page.
please beware of who you sell your pigs to - one of these people had bought their pigs last friday!
I know circumstances change and sometimes people just have to get rid and it can't be helped but 'because he's rooting' and 'i was ill informed' are really not good enough excuses.
please beware of how you are selling your pigs . I would prefer to see them go to sausages than to be pushed from pillar to post all their lives
:(

truella

Post by truella » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:20 pm

I totally agree with this Wendy. I have refused to sell alot of pigs (all breeds) to people who are soooo obviously NOT pig people!!!!! I honestly think there are too many breeders out there at the moment who are just so desperate to sell that they will sell to anybody! I took a deposit the other day for 2 kunekune's (who can't go yet as I am on standstill) but they will be told when they come to collect them that if they decide they don't want them anymore that I will have them back!
Mind over Matter...........You don't mind, it doesn't matter!!!!!

wendy scu

Post by wendy scu » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:51 pm

well dne that woman! i do the same and actually in 10 years have had very few back because (i like to think) i choose my buyers with care.

we must accept some responsibility for these pigs if we are going to breed and sell them

Di

Post by Di » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:18 pm

Yep I've had the same and refused sales. One woman could not understand when I said I would rather make the pigs into meat! I explained that I thought a short happy life was better than a long miserable one.

I will continue to do this (I know Wendy doesn't quite agree!) but at least I know the life my pigs are having from start to finish and believe me its 5* .

wendy scu

Post by wendy scu » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:43 am

I do agree Di,
i have collected pigs now from so many miserable places, i have been 'friends' on facebook with so many micro pig owners whose pigs have to endure living like people, and i have read so many of their silly micro pig websites informing prospective owners of how to 'care' for their pigs, and i regret to say i have even visited a few 'micro pigs' in situ, that i am now a firm believer that sausages is one of the better destinations for a pig. :(

one of my biggest revelations was visitng the 'Famous Little Pig Farm' in Cambridge run by Jane Croft. The conditions the pigs lived in was absolutely shocking - some were sleeping in liquid slurry - as she had approximately 80 pigs there at the time on about three quarters of an acre of land. I have recently heard she is going into bankruptcy as she cannot afford to refund any more of her customers for her giant pigs.

Di

Post by Di » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:19 pm

Poor, poor pigs. I have no sympathy with Jane Croft as I feel she deserves all that's coming to her. Another fashion whim gone wrong!

I would urge anyone breeding to thoroughly think through what you are going to do with the piglets before putting the sow in pig. Its always wonderful when a new litter of piglets are born but you must be prepared to make some serious decisions as they get older.

twigletthepiglet

Post by twigletthepiglet » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:54 pm

i dont agree with this 'micro pig craze' at all but was curious into what exactly a micro/mini pig was and after looking on jane crofts website noticed all photos were of piglets!!! which of course gives an untrue representation of what size theyll grow to, as they seem to be cross breeds/runts surely you can only guess the size theyll get to?!
after just having my first litter of kunekunes born i shall be asking new owners probably more questions than theyll have for me! and will always have my pigs back if circumtances change. i deffinatly will not however, be letting them go somewhere i dont think will provide a lifelong home and will be giving all first time pig keeper the facts about my pigs before they can say yes/no to having one.

Sarah Sladen

micro pigs

Post by Sarah Sladen » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:44 pm

Sadly the micro pig farm seems to have moved to newbury and being run by an Andrew Smith. They have advertised in our local rag saying the way to breed a micro pig is to cross runt with runt. Help!
Sarah Sladen

wendy scu

Post by wendy scu » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:50 pm

He's a franchise for croft.
i wrote to the newbury times and complained about that article as he actually moans about the controversy surrounding micro pigs!
the controversy stems from the very person he is franchising for :evil: