coat colours?!!

General chat about kunekune pigs
twigletthepiglet

coat colours?!!

Post by twigletthepiglet » Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:03 pm

:? hi, just wondered why the striped coats wern't desireable when on the 'kunekune standard of perfection' it states that the coat may be any colour or texture? not bothered either way just a little misleading, hes actually my favorite already so may end up keeping him as a castrate!! just curious if coat colour matters if they were to fit all other criteria?

wendy scu

Post by wendy scu » Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:31 pm

stripes will normally grow out and the coat will become a plain colour. as far as the breed standard goes the stripes don't matter but they are slightly frowned upon as they are a throw back from the wild pig in the kunekune. the same goes for the hackles up thing with their behaviour. anyway, in the end its what you like that counts :)

twigletthepiglet

Post by twigletthepiglet » Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:45 pm

i of course think they are all gorgous!!! wish i could keep them all!! :lol:
my main focus is to make sure that they grow up nice and strong and all go to amazing homes, i have sadly noticed that their seems to be lot of adverts around on the freead sites for boars that i personally think dont look to fit the right critera of a 'good boar' looking at the points system used to mark kunes on.
i would like to ad that this site has been a great help, im new to pig breeding and its nice to have experience easily available without feeling like a bad owner for wanting to get involed in the breeding of these lovely animals..... we all have to start somewhere!! :wink: