new owner (hopefully!)

General chat about kunekune pigs
avons82

new owner (hopefully!)

Post by avons82 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:51 pm

I'm completely new to the forum so hi! :D

Though I've kept an abundance of different animals, my dream is to have a pig (or two)! I'm in the process of moving to a new house with a very large garden and adjoining "allotment" area - where coincidentally the previous owner used to keep pigs (many years ago).

I'm hoping to rehome (I only have rescue animals) a couple of small-ish sized breed pigs - probably kunekunes.

I have a few questions:

Are there any other good places / contacts for rescue pigs?

How easy is it to introduce piggies? I've seen some unwanted Kunes but as singles, and I want to keep a pair for company. Are male - female combos better? Or female - female etc? Do they have to be introduced gradually?

Also how much outdoor space (penned area) roughly would a pair need?

Thanks so much for any help / info / advice!

:P amey

Di

Post by Di » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:35 am

Hello and welcome Amey. I think you will find Wendy Scudamore will be along soon as she rehomes a lot of kunekunes. If not give Wendy a ring - she is chairman of the Society and I am sure she will be able to help you.

So glad you are going to get 2 pigs as I feel very strongly that they do need company. I have had several people recently asking to buy one piglet and get quite huffy when I say 2 or none!!

Good luck with the pigs when you get them.

Di

DA000610

Post by DA000610 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:45 am

Where abouts in the country are you? Maybe you could visit someone local to you to see their set up and ask advise - i had someone visit last weekend - always best to be as prepared as poss. nikki

wendy scu

Post by wendy scu » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:09 am

Yes, Di's right, we have about 3 or 4 a week coming up now.
last night i put more on the rescue page of this website.

you need about half and acre of land to keep pigs. they will damage the land in the wet weather - even if they don't root it their wweight and size causes the ground to go pretty soupy in the wet weather

ultimately castrates make the best 'pets' as gilts can be a bit hormonal when they reach breeding age but a gilt and castrate would be ok. don't have two gilts though .

any other advice you need feel free to email me, visit me or ask on here,
best of luck,
Wendy

avons82

Post by avons82 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:59 am

Hi! and thanks everyone for your replies.

I'm in Rainham, Kent nr Maidstone / Rochester - it would be great to visit anyone with kunekunes just to see the set up etc..?

So is a "castrate" a castrated male? :?

I know this is the Kune page but how is this breed compared to the pot bellied, which are quite common as pets?

Thanks again! :P amey

wendy scu

Post by wendy scu » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:19 pm

you have a lovely lady close to you who will be more than happy to show you her kunes. her email is
druidsfarm@virginmedia.com

there is no comparison between pots and kunes - i have had both - the kunekune is a much more relaxed friendly and social little pig. pots tend to be quite nervous and don't seem to enjoy the physical contact that the kunes do.

yes, a castrate is a castrated male and don't buy a male that has not been castrated - a good breeder will castrate, worm and pedigree register his pigs before selling them.

avons82

Post by avons82 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:44 pm

Thanks so much Wendy, I'll hopefully go visit the lady and her Kunes.. with a view to hopefully getting mine soon - once I move house and get the set up etc sorted..!

:lol: amey

avons82

registration cost?

Post by avons82 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:12 pm

Hi again,

Just wondering how much does a CPH cost to obtain? Can't find the info anywhere. And also are there any other registration costs involved in getting a pig(s)? Ie, movement, walking licence etc?

Thanks so much! :roll:

truella

Post by truella » Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:13 pm

CPH numbers are free. Just contact Defra & they will give you the number of where to contact for one & how to get your pig herd number too.
Mind over Matter...........You don't mind, it doesn't matter!!!!!

avons82

Post by avons82 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:47 pm

Thanks! :lol:

ambriel

Post by ambriel » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:55 pm

Amey, we got our first Kunes at the beginning of January and they're delightful. We have three castrated males: Hagrid, Hamish and Hector.

They're very friendly, love being cuddled and fussed, and are full of fun.

They're also very naughty - nosing through your pockets and trying to find ways to get into the shed where their feed is stored, and you can't do *anything* in the garden without them wanting to get involved.

You're going to love them!

Oh, and CPH number: if the form they give you down south is anything like the one we get up here don't let it put you off. Most of it you can just ignore. Looks daunting at first sight though.

avons82

Post by avons82 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:48 pm

Ahh congratulations! Do you have any pics?

Where did you get you kunes from?

How much space do they have? Do you have any pics of their housing?

Do you walk them?

Bet they're just as happy with you as you sound to be with them! I'd love to see some pics if you have any!

:D

ambriel

Post by ambriel » Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:17 pm

We've got three Kunes. Pics here: Link to Flickr

We've got about half an acre which seems enough for them. They share it with our small flock of hens.

avons82

Post by avons82 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:01 pm

ahhh lovely! so nice to see them with so much space! lucky pigs!

Thanks so much for the pics link!

amey :D
Owner to: 2 kunekune, 2 cats, 2 dogs, one old bunny, a guineapig, a skinny pig, a tortoise and 15 fish! All rescues! :D

AN001068

Post by AN001068 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:27 pm

Hi Amey, I too am new to the forum. I (and no disrespect to anyone) but have kept two gilts together from when they were young and have had no problems keeping them together. I also think the more space you have for them to roam they are less likely to dig if they have enough to keep themselves occupied. Happy hunting x