micro pigs

General chat about kunekune pigs
redgeorge

micro pigs

Post by redgeorge » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:08 pm

Anyone see 'the lakes' on tv last night? there was a bloke with 2 acres full of tmworth and gloster old spot pigs which he was prolifically breeding (sorry his carefully planned breeding programme - yeah right!!!!) to produce 'micro pigs' for people to keep in their houses. :evil: Why do they encourage people like this by giving them free advertising on TV :roll:

Di

Post by Di » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:14 pm

Yep what a disgusting set up! There is quite a lot of discussion about this so called breeder of micro pigs going on on the River Cottage Forum. Well worth reading.

I have had several people contact me recently looking for micro pigs. When they see the kunekunes they are horrified and say they are much too big! I cannot get them to understand that there is no guarantee what size a so called micro pig will grow to. Are other people with kunekunes having the same problem?

truella

Post by truella » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:43 am

I have a 'rescued Micro pig' which was living in the house. He is now the biggest boar we have & we have some big pigs!
I am having real problems selling my kunes thanks to 'micro pigs'. People are horrified when they see the size of my adult kunes & just go away saying they are too big.
I did actually refuse to sell some people one due to the fact that it was the runt they wanted & kept telling me he wouldn't grow. They were despetate for a pig that wuld grow no bigger than a tea cup.
Wouldn't believe me when I said they don't exist & showed them Ziggy.
Mind over Matter...........You don't mind, it doesn't matter!!!!!

Di

Post by Di » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:53 am

I am afraid I sent a potential purchaser away as she wanted one of my piglets (8 weeks old) and was going to put it with a Tamworth runt. She just could not understand when I said that although it was the runt of the litter it would end up much bigger than my adult kunekunes. It would also dig up all the ground and there would be no grass left.

I agree that it is having a detrimental affect on selling kunekunes.

misslux

Post by misslux » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:21 pm

Tell me about it!!
I took one of m litters to an open day, just for petting aswell as a bit of advertisement! The number of peopel that came along and said "look at the micro pigs", and my reply each time was no, these are 6 week old piglets! One women brought her husband over and told him they were micro pigs, like the ones seen in papers that celebs have, and that they were fully grown. She was convincing him to buy one for her, until i gave her the shocking truth!! She couldnt belive it, she was actually shocked that were just babies!
The number of people that have walked away from my litters saying they will grow too big once they seen the mums, i dont understand these people!
If i was buying a puppy, i wouldnt expect it to stay as small and cute as it is at 6 weeks old!! So why do so many people think these pigs arent going to grow??
This is a subject that really gets me going, because i think it is so irresopmsible of the breeders out there that sell these runts as so called "micro" pigs for huge amounts of money to people who clearly have no idea!!!! :evil:

wendy scu

Post by wendy scu » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:24 pm

ah, well, i agree with all of you and i have made myself into something of a 'hate figure' in the micro pig world as i have been very vocal with my opinions over the last year.

i have another TV interview next week and a radio interview too. i shall keep on shouting about this from the roof tops till people start to take notice.

Stefan

Post by Stefan » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:46 pm

I have just seen advert on preloved for "true micro pigs" not crossed with kunekune or pot bellied pigs...
Am I allowed to link it here ???
Just wondered what everybody's thoughts on those are.

wendy scu

Post by wendy scu » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:56 pm

my thoughts would be if there's no kunekune or pot belly in them they'll be even bigger than the usual micro pigs!