When will my new boars become potent?

General chat about kunekune pigs
Keith Baron

When will my new boars become potent?

Post by Keith Baron » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:49 am

Hello eveyone, I've just had my first litter of 7, all well and 5 sold. I took the three boys to be castrated and the vet could only do one because the other two each had a hernia. I decided to keep these for meat and have put them back in a pen with their mother now they've been weaned. They are 9 weeks old now and one of them tries to mount the other and the mother (instinct I hope) but I wondered how long I can keep them in there with mum before they pose a threat?

simon

Post by simon » Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:13 pm

About 5months to be safe, but it largely depends on how tall she/they get.

But I'd separate them immediately, as you will want to make sure sows/piglets are getting the correct amount of food.

If you have weaned the other piglets you need to wean them all to make so she doesn't get mastitis, even if you put them back with mum when her milk has dried up.

I'd also look for a new vet.

Keith Baron

Post by Keith Baron » Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:54 pm

Thanks Simon . All the piglets have been weaned and I only have these 2 left. Mum appears to be dry and the piglets do not seem to bother her with that, but I'll take your advice and separate.
With the risk of sounding thick, why is the vet at fault, what should I have been advised?

simon

Post by simon » Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:57 pm

Keith Baron wrote:why is the vet at fault, what should I have been advised?
A hernia doesn't stop a piglet being castrated. Maybe there were other reasons why he advised you not to, so I don't want to be unfair.