Was I right to refuse a sale? Have you experienced this?

General chat about kunekune pigs
misslux

Was I right to refuse a sale? Have you experienced this?

Post by misslux » Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:33 pm

Just a question to all you guys that have kunekunes before! I have my first ever litters currently for sale. I had someone contact me through email, no phone number was ever given and they wanted to buy without seeing, just wanted me to deliver, which i thought was pretty weird. Anyway, the more questions i asked, although no proper answer was ever given, i guessed they were going to keep it in a house, as they live in a city!!
I refused the sale as i personally do not want my piglets not having a "proper" farm animal life (ie. roaming in a paddock with friends!!), but also i did not want to responsible and being blamed in the press when in 12 months time, the adult pig is destroying the furniture and biting their children!
I just wondered if this is common, is there lots of people out their doing the same? Have you ever been contacted by these types of people and have you ever sold to one of these homes? Was i right or wrong to refuse the sale??

Darrell

Post by Darrell » Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:50 pm

Of course you were right to refuse the sale.Never sell piglets without meeting the buyer.I refuse several sales each year because customers are not suitable to keep kunekunes.I get text messages from teenagers wanting piglets.I don't even bother to reply.If someone is serious about the commitment of keeping pigs they will want to see the parents of the piglets and discuss the pigs needs.Make it clear that you only sell piglets in pairs and that you don't deliver unless they visit first and see adult kunes.

wendy scu

Post by wendy scu » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:07 pm

i agree with what Darrell has said and i have refused many people over the years.

Di

Post by Di » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:25 am

Yes totally agree. Well done. I get emails from (what would seem to be ) kids who obviously haven't got a clue. I usually reply seting out CPH number, conditions to be kept in, sold in pairs only, etc., etc., and don't hear another word!

Hope everyone is as sensible as you.

truella

Post by truella » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:19 pm

I have had the same emails. It is a con. They try to get some unsuspecting person to agree a sale, no matter what it is, then ask for your bank details to wire the money to you. They do then collect the item then clean out your bank account.
Mind over Matter...........You don't mind, it doesn't matter!!!!!

misslux

Post by misslux » Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:57 pm

Thansk for all the replies, it makes me feel much better about the whole situation!! It is so difficult, especially as i am struggleing to sell them at this time of year, but it makes me feel happier that other people out there feel the same!! I did suspect it could be a con, as they would not give an email, and i said i wanted to know where the lived (the just gave the city name) as they wanted me to qoute for delivery, they would never give exact location details, whether this was because it was a con, or because they knew i would sell it to them if the live right in the middle of the city!
Anyway, its happened and they have not replied to my last email!
Thanks again!!!

Di

Post by Di » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:25 am

Nearly on the same line. I had a lady visit yesterday who had been looking at buying a micro pig! However she felt that kunekunes were probably better. She only wanted to buy one piglet as a present for hubby for Christmas. When I refused to sell only one as it would be lonely she has now gone away to think about it. She felt she could not manage to keep 2 pigs although she has 65 acres. She was insistent that it would have goats, donkeys and dogs for company. I explained that this was not the same.

The lady was interested in a lovely ginger boar which would have been castrated. I mentioned that it was usually the boars which did not sell and therefore became sausages, etc. Horrified lady felt sure that a life on its own with her was prefereable. I just said it would either have a short happy life or a long lonely one.

I've probably shot myself in the foot but what would you have done?

Carol

Post by Carol » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:31 am

I think you were right to refuse Di. I had a lady who wanted a Kune as a companion for a micro pig. I wouldn't sell one as you have no way of knowing how big the micro pig would get or what its temperament was like. Also the micro pig was not castrated.

wendy scu

Post by wendy scu » Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:11 pm

two interesting posts with the current climate.

i think you are absolutely right Di. You know how i feel about sausages but yes, i think that was the right decision.

Carol, this is a problem coming up time and again with the micro pig trade - they don't bother to castrate the boars. I have recently had one contact for rehoming - an entire boar, living on his own in a household with 8 kids. needless to say he was aggressive and unmanageable.

another now down in Dorset (if anyone can help!) Entire boar, 11 months, living alone, demolishing everything in the way of fencing. they had him confined to a hen house for a week till he demolished that and he is now inside their house as they cant let him out due to no fencing.
what do you do with a situation like this? i have advised the abattoir but unfortunately people expect me to wave a magic wand :(