Ear Tags

General chat about kunekune pigs
CarolineB

Ear Tags

Post by CarolineB » Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:13 pm

Hi

I need to mark my pigs for movement - and I understand they will need eartags, tattoos or double slapmarks. Where do you get these things from? Our girls have rather natty kunekune ear tags but the boys don't have ear tags.

I suspect they're going to hurt when we put them in - is this the case does anyone know?

Can you see slap marks and tattoos on dark, hairy KKs???
Caroline

Di

Ear Tags

Post by Di » Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:44 pm

You need to put in ear tags with your holding number on. I get mine from Ketchums and use the little round plastic ones (similar to the KK ones). There are several companies who supply ear tags. You can also use the metal ear tags if you prefer, or (dare I say it) if they are going for slaughter.

I usually put them in (the applicator is supplied with the tags) when they are eating. Be quick and firm and its not a problem.

Good luck

Di

CarolineB

Post by CarolineB » Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:36 am

Thanks Di.
They are for slaughter - still in theory at this stage. That's the intention, but I'm 6 months pregnant and hormones may yet get the better of me!
:)
Do you have to use metal tags for slaughter? Or can I use the plastic ones?
Caroline

Lynn Hunter

Post by Lynn Hunter » Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:42 pm

If using tags they must be metal for slaughter because the plastic tags won't survive the carcase processing and must have your defra herdmark. Hope this helps.

CarolineB

Post by CarolineB » Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:45 pm

Hiya

I just wanted to say thanks for your help & advice regardign Ear Tags. Got them from Ketchums - got 10 metal tags and the pliers (?20 plus vat).

Was a bit horrified when I saw them as Ithought they looked like they'd cause lot of pain putting then, so investigated Slap marking instead as friend and pigowner said this is what she used. At ?95 plus vat, we decided to test the ear tags onone pig - Parma our least favourite!

So I sterilised the tags inboiling water, dowsed them in TCP thendried them. Hubby and I went out, and while feedign pigs (with extra apples for treats - but I like to think of it as pre-seasoning the meat too!) we did the deed. Hubby was very quick to make sure that it went in clearly first time.

I was amazed, they didn't even squeal once! Clearly weren't keep on it happening, but really completely very undistressed. HUge relief.

Thanks

C

So thanks!
Caroline