blood lines

General chat about kunekune pigs
truella

blood lines

Post by truella » Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:28 pm

I am completely confused with bloodlines in breeding.
How far down the family tree can they be related? If you have 2 kereopa (sister) sows can the piglets be sold as breeding pairs if by the same boar? Can a Kereopa sow go to a boar with a kereopa mother? The list goes on.
Mind over Matter...........You don't mind, it doesn't matter!!!!!

wendy scu

Post by wendy scu » Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:18 am

the gene pool is not a large one so unrelated is best,
people do line breed which is acceptable for registration although in breeding is not.
if selling a breeding 'pair' they would be male and female - so definitely not from the same litter!

truella

Post by truella » Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:16 pm

So if you have 2 sisters, both to the same boar, is it acceptable to 'pair' 1 piglet from each litter as 'breeding pairs', or is it just 100% better for the kunekune breed to have 4 completely different parents? I am new to the pig breeding industry & want to be 100% sure of what's acceptable & what's not advisable. :roll:

wendy scu

Post by wendy scu » Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:00 pm

if you have two sisters to the same boar then no, don't take a piglet from each litter and pair them as these would be half brother and sister which is inbreeding, not line breeding. inbreeding is breeding across the lines and line breeding is breeding down the generations. eg, grandfather to granddaughter or mother to son.
unrelated is best for selling breeding pairs

truella

Post by truella » Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:50 pm

Thats exactly what I thought! Thank you for that.........I just wanted confirmation about that! :lol:

truella

Post by truella » Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:12 am

Sorry if I'm sounding stupid now! :roll: Reading your last comment, Mother & son. Does that mean if I kept a young boar piglet with piris, he would be able to serve his mum, auntie & any other gilt/sow, but not his sisters? I know I will definatly need a 2nd line of gilt & boar for 'breeding pairs'.

wendy scu

Post by wendy scu » Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:31 am

in theory, yes, he can but if you intend to close breed in this way you will need to be prepared for culling the offspring which show abnormalities.