In pig

General chat about kunekune pigs
truella

In pig

Post by truella » Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:23 pm

Why is it with kunekunes you wait until 1yr before you put 'in pig' when other pigs are 8 months?

Does it cause problems if they 'go to the boar' earlier?
Mind over Matter...........You don't mind, it doesn't matter!!!!!

simon

Post by simon » Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:37 am

If a sow breeds too soon before being fully developed its less likely to be able to physically cope with the stress of pregnancy. So smaller litters and more chance of problems. Commercial breeds have been selected over the years to mature earlier, kunes much less so.

Most people I've spoken to wait until at least 12months. On the NZ kune society page they say at least 10months:
http://www.kunekune.co.nz/article-breeding.html
I had one sow who we left until 18months because she seemed particularly small, and then suddenly had a growth spurt - now shes on her third fine litter and I'm glad we waited.

I don't suppose anyone has really tested it scientifically on kunes so, as with most things, you need to apply your best judgement.

wendy scu

Post by wendy scu » Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:22 am

i agree with what simon says and would add that kunekunes are very slow to develop and many are just not physically strong enough to take a boar at under 12 months,

if you look at some 12 month old KK's they look little more than piglets. like all animals - its best to let them develop before expecting their bodies to take the stress of developing and feeding young - your pigs will last longer

truella

Post by truella » Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:21 pm

What type of problems should I be keeping an eye out for (as my boar managed to get into them without my permission) & they will both be 1yr in September. He is now in a pen like fort knox but it's too late for my girls. They are coping really well & are 100% healthy, but are definatly expecting! :?

simon

Post by simon » Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:35 pm

I'm sure everything will be fine. Their biology has decided they are ready, so don't worry.
Just do normal things, like try and be there for the birth, get a creep area & heat lamp ready. Buy some piglet kick start for any that are small and need a boost.

wendy scu

Post by wendy scu » Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:02 pm

and keep a good eye on milk supply as they are a bit young.
other than that, fingers crossed :)

truella

Post by truella » Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:55 pm

where do i get piglet kick start from? As for the milk supply, I know you can get powder milk for sheep, is there a pig powder too? I did read somewhere that baby milk can be used. Is this correct? I just want to be as prepared as I can for the 'big days'.

wendy scu

Post by wendy scu » Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:30 am

if you click on simons post it leads you to a link where you can buy piglet kick start.
i meant keep an eye on the milk supply of your gilt but yes, abay milk is ok for pigs but sow milk replacer is also available if you google it.

truella

piglets

Post by truella » Sat Aug 28, 2010 6:45 pm

Just to let you know, my girl had 9 healthy piglets today. Not bad for her 1st litter (to say she is on the younger side). :lol: