Castration experience

General chat about kunekune pigs
Dan

Castration experience

Post by Dan » Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:24 pm

Well the vet has just left and im not sure i want to go throught that again. He was very quick and professional but certainly not a side of pig breeding I imagined!

Within minutes the boys were back with mum and two of them eating.

Unfortunately one of my boys has an inguinal hernia and the vet recommended has recommended he is run on for meat and not operated on. Upset me a bit but I suppose I have to harden to these things. Just wondered what everyone elses experience has been on hernias? Do I have any other options? He did explain that it could worsen in a few weeks or months (or not at all) and if it did the pig would quickly go down hill but it is a chance to take.

Any vies on this one?

simon

Post by simon » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:11 pm

Did he give a reason why he couldn't operate on it?

Dan

Post by Dan » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:37 pm

Hi Simon,

He didn't actually say he couldn't, just would not recommend it as it was quite large and couldn't not guarantee it was stitch up very well and couldn't be 100% on success. So he advised to send him for meat. I have wanted to try kune meat so didn't have great objections.

Anyone have an idea on how long an entire kune boar would take to get to a decent weight or at least hog roast size?
T

simon

Post by simon » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:38 pm

About 9 months.

Di

Post by Di » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:47 pm

I sent 2 last year at 7 months. They had a lot of fat on them (maybe I overfed them!). I had both made into susages which were just fantastic. I have orders now for the next batch of sausages.

Di

Dan

Post by Dan » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:58 pm

Were they entire or castrated Di? U

CarolineB

Post by CarolineB » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:41 pm

we had a boy with a scrotal hernia. One of our two vets said to leave him, but don't leave it too late to go for meat, the other said operate, he's seen them explode before...

We left ours, it looked horrendous at times, but as he got older, it looked less bad. It's like it got big, but then he grew and it didn't. It was fine.

He was sent to the BPITS at 10 months - no boar taint noticeable.
Caroline

Dan

Post by Dan » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:09 pm

What sort of zise were they at 10 months Caroline? I have a castrated boar who is 6 months next week and he still looks really small even though his the biggest of the litter.

The pig i originally posted about was sent off end of may as we had a birthday bash and needed a hog roast. He was perfect size and tasted delicious!!