Pig Hurdles

General chat about kunekune pigs
Dan

Pig Hurdles

Post by Dan » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:47 pm

Does anyone know where I might be able to get hold of any pig hurdles? My local agri merchant only does teh 6' sheep but i want three at 10' to go round the stable so mum and piglets can come out during the day.

I found what im looking for in the site below but they are 4-5 week lead-time!

http://www.pigequipment.co.uk/index.asp?pageID=125

Thanks for your help

Dan

Ps. If anyone can think of any alternative solutions it would be a great help.

simon

Post by simon » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:33 am

I would guess (but I might be wrong) that most companies in this market manufacture to order and are busy making sheep hurdles at the moment.

You could get normal sheep hurdles, and concrete or attach the odd leg to a breezeblock or long plank of wood to stop the sow lifting the whole lot up. Certainly a lot cheaper.

Dan

Post by Dan » Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:49 am

Thanks Simon, will give that a try!

Carol

Post by Carol » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:01 am

If you tie hurdles together with baler twine where they link at the top AND the bottom it works quite well. The combined weight will stop the sow unless she is really determined. Even if you decide to put weights on the bottom still tie them together as she only has to lift them a few inches to unhook them. My piglets always get out underneath the hurdles so you might want to put some boarding round as well.

wendy scu

Post by wendy scu » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:14 pm

when i have made a pen at showgrounds for them i have used hurdles and put the odd stake into the ground which we then nail the hurdle to. if you use a six inch nail, nail it into the stake then bend it down around the hurdle it stops them lifting the hurdles. we also put chicken wire over the hurdles to stop the piglets escaping

Pandora

Post by Pandora » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:49 pm

These look pretty piglet proof:
http://www.iaeltd.co.uk/products/FullPr ... &cat4=1402

On soft ground, you can tap the feet in the ground to prevent mum & babies getting their noses under the gap, and a stake on the inside corners as Wendy said, attached to the hurdles, should keep everything where is should be... theoretically! :lol:
Never test the depth of the water with both feet!

Dan

Post by Dan » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:19 pm

They look great. Thanks Pandora.

I have now managed to source 10' pallets and have cut them in half longways and wired the bottoms and they are working a treat but will look into something more substantial for her next litter.

Thanks again