Piglets & Electric fencing

General chat about kunekune pigs
Dan

Piglets & Electric fencing

Post by Dan » Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:59 pm

My piglets are now 10 days old and up till now have been kept in the stable. I have a 10x 10' concrete pad outside which mum comes out regulary to feed and exercise but im worried about letting the piglets out incase they touch the fence. I let them out the weekend for 10 minutes but turned the fence off and kept putting them back if they wandered.

Is a mains electric fence to strong for a small piglet?

simon

Post by simon » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:02 am

I don't know for sure the answer to your question.

I recently switched off an electric fence holding a sow, and a bunch of weaners. I forgot to switch it back on and it was 4weeks until one of them discovered.

Depending on the type of fence you could also raise up the bottom wire so that the piglets can't reach it until they are a bit bigger.

wendy scu

Post by wendy scu » Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:52 am

i wouldn't worry too much about the piglets straying, they will always come back to mum.
i agree with simon, raise the bottom to give the piglets access, or switch it off - i keep mine for weeks with the fence switched off and they never notice! i have one battery which i have to use in rotation for three boars and a horse field!

Dan

Post by Dan » Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:21 am

Thanks guys.

It hasn't been on for weeks as Mum never goes near it but i want to keep the piglets in and train them. I just didnt know if it will harm them when they get a dab off it or is it ok?

Do you have a minimum age to start electric fence training?

simon

Post by simon » Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:26 am

I don't keep young piglets next to a fence and I don't want to tell you something thats wrong.

I'd double check with Rappa (01264 810665) or whoever suppied your fence.