Do you keep your pigs in the house!!

General chat about kunekune pigs
Paula

Do you keep your pigs in the house!!

Post by Paula » Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:38 am

With recent trends and tv exposure of the kunekune micro pig, which to be honest I'm not sure is doing the kunekune alot of good because of the small gene pool. I have had no end of people enquiring and wanting to keep them as house pets. I have always said this in my opinion not a good idea and think they are happiest, healthiest and belong in a field.
Whilst I have been nosing around different places and adverts (not to do with this site) I have been a bit surprised at how many say make good house pets! Has anyone tried - I must admit I am not keen on trying the experiment myself! Or is anyone out there happily sharing their sofa with a pig. What are your views and experiences?
A life shared with pigs is a happy life!

wendy scu

Post by wendy scu » Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:36 pm

Pigs in general do make pretty good house pets but i think it is 100% wrong to keep them this way-
i agree with you that they are happiest and healthiest in a field, particularly kunes pigs (and pot bellies) who need grass etc to keep them healthy.
half the trouble with keeping pigs as house pets is that they are usually in a 'garden' situation where the grass is not available and they end up with the wrong diet in its place.
I have first hand experience of this as all to often i end up collecting them from places where they can no longer be kept as house pets for one reason or another, i despair of the promotion by the media of 'miniature pigs' as house pets.

Louise NI

Post by Louise NI » Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:01 pm

Well all I can say to that is Smokey managed to get into my house through an open back door and ran amok - she thought it was great and knocked lots of things over in the excitement. I know she wouldn't have been used to the environment and that attributed to the chaos but it proved to me that they are so awkward when turning around you would need to live in a barn to keep them indoors!!! Everything in its place I always say!! :wink:

Polly

Post by Polly » Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:53 pm

I couldn't imagine mine in the house, they would just demolish everything in search of food I think! :D . I don't think pigs belong indoors ...

redgeorge

Post by redgeorge » Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:36 pm

Couldn't agree more pigs have no place in the house. They are an outdoor animal and belong in the field.

sam p

Post by sam p » Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:42 pm

Have just hand reared one, she had pneumonia so brought her from the yard and kept her in cage in living room, slowly introduced her to the garden where she is at her happiest pushing the dog bowl around. Have taken her back to the sow and piglets a few times but just not interested, she now sleeps in the shed with the dogs but has made it up the stairs a couple of times if the back door left open. Likes to watch tv as well!! Will go back up the yard eventually though. Only problem i had with her was her skin drying out, but put that down to the central heating as now cleared up