An interesting pig tale!

General chat about kunekune pigs
Polly

An interesting pig tale!

Post by Polly » Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:34 pm

I went on a horsey holiday to the Brecon Beacons with ten companions this autumn. We had a really fab time and on the second day we were coming back from a long ride around Hay Bluff, I was in the middle of the group with horses in front of and behind me. As we rode along a stock-fenced bit of land I suddenly spied a huge kunekune pig lying in the shrubs, and called out to the riders behind that there was a big pig.

Suddenly I heard a cry and a clatter of hooves, I looked behind to see one of the horses leaping up a bank into the undergrowth, then the horses all stampeded and mine took off and I had to struggle to keep him under control. Fortunately I was able to stop him and looked back to see a rider on the ground unconscious. I assumed that they had spooked at the pig and dismounted to hold onto my horse plus the leader's horse who was calling for help.

I was standing holding the two horses (the leader's horse was a very big one!) when all of a sudden about eight kunekune piglets shot out of the bracken right in front of us, dived under the fence and ran to their mother - they had managed to dig under the stock fencing to get across to the common land. The big horse got quite on her toes but thankfully as mine is used to pigs (and kunekunes at that) he didn't bat an eyelid so the big horse calmed down!! I would not have been able to hold two terrified horses otherwise ...

Anyhow it all resulted in an air ambulance having to land in the bracken at the base of Hay Bluff (very exciting) and the poor lady - who was concussed and had a broken toe - had to be taken off the Aberystwyth. She went in a land vehicle which turned up at the same time. Happily she wasn't badly injured and is now totally recovered.

I suppose a herd of kunekune piglets isn't really what you expect to see on a ride out in the Brecon Beacons - so riders beware!!

Di

A pig tale

Post by Di » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:46 am

I have thought of doing therapy for horses!

Over the years we have had several horses and ponies and on arrival they absolutely freak out at the pigs. Snorting, rearing, bucking, racing around the field - absolutely terrified. In particular we had an ex racehorse who would not leave the point furthest from the pigs for about three days! By the time he left us after 3 years the kunekunes were weaving in and out of his legs, pinching his food from under his nose and even rubbing themselves on his legs! He was taking no notice at all.

I think if horses were to live with pigs for a while there wouldn't be a problem.

Di

Darrell

Post by Darrell » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:21 am

We have a young gypsy cob,he lives with twenty kunekunes and he loves them.Hopefully in the future we will ride and drive him and I know he wont bolt if he sees a pig,in fact he would probably rush over to greet one!

Polly

Post by Polly » Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:00 pm

My piggies live in a paddock by the lane and when they first moved there I wasn't too popular with the local horse riders! However I offered many of them to come onto the yard and see the pigs while I fed the horses carrots, and most are now desensitised to them. My pair are soooo friendly and just want to say hello :D

bev

Post by bev » Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:04 pm

My driving pony who is the "been there seen it all" sort was terrified when my 3 kunes arrived this summer, he snorted and pranced and was horrified when he saw me scratching them! It took several weeks with him venturing nearer and nearer to the fence before he accepted them (the squealing at feeding times just sent him ballistic!) but now he stands at the fence for ages just watching them and shares polo mints! (anyone elses pigs like polos?)
My donkeys on the other hand just accepted them from day one, never really gave them a second glance, long ears are perhaps more intelligent than ponies :D

Harnia

Post by Harnia » Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:30 pm

Well I also have my Kune's & horses together & have never had a problem. In fact my 15.2hh gelding Alitis happily shares his haynet with 1 of my sows Ellie. When the piglets come out at 4 wks he guards them from the other 2 pony's & is often left pigysitting while mum goes for a quiet munch on her own!!! The only problem I have ever had is when I am applying vegitable hoof oil to my geldings feet,as I go round from 1 foot to another the piglets follow me licking all of it off!!!! Takes at least 3 rounds to get a good coating.... :D

Yes my pigs will do anything for a mint imperial.....
Nicola Rose Fitzakerly