Glorious mud?

General chat about kunekune pigs
redgeorge

Post by redgeorge » Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:28 am

:lol: greeat photo !! no mistaking that he is guilty! Sorry to hear about your land Bev, I really don't know of a solution, I am very lucky because mine never root. However I do have a veretable patch and i open it up to them at this time of the year and they root that up, I suppose they are digging out any spuds that I have missed!

Polly

Post by Polly » Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:02 pm

What a funny pic, no of course he didn't do it whatever gave you that idea! :D

This is a pic of my orchard after the first summer mine were here - it's quite a small orchard but suffice to say there was not one blade of grass left by December and one apple tree toppled over. It was like the Battle of the Somme with the trenches!!

Who me???

Di

Mud

Post by Di » Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:16 pm

My gosh!! Can't believe your kunekunes did that. Like Redgeorge I am fortunate in having 4 girls and a boar who do not root!! Its a bit muddy where I throw there food each day and where they walk up and down along the fence but not rooted up!!

Did you fancy a large veg plot?

Di

wendy scu

Post by wendy scu » Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:22 pm

me too Di,
i have 20 kunes including 5 boars and none of them root except for Sosij and Ellie but only on very rare occassions - they haven't rooted now for a coupe of years

DA000610

Post by DA000610 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:09 am

Mine never rooted until the rains came and within 2 weeks have created an absolute mud bath ! i would definately say that kune + wet clay soil = a great venue for mud wrestling!!

Carol

Post by Carol » Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:00 pm

My 2 girls very rarely root, but I put them in our small orchard last autumn as the grass was quite long and they started rooting. They made a real mess of the orchard - much to my husbands annoyance. So I moved them out and they didn't root again.
I concluded that, as pigs have a very good sense of smell, there were probably quite a few fallen apples in the grass and even when they had eaten them they could still smell apple in the ground. If anyone has any other suggestions I would be interested to hear them.
The orchard has recovered over the summer so I will put them in again soon and moniter closely. If you can harrow or level the ground it is amazing how quickly it recovers once the KK's are moved.

simon

Post by simon » Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:18 pm

Carol wrote: the grass was quite long and they started rooting
Kunes like to graze short grass. If the grass has got very long and stalky then there isn't as much goodness in it as the new, shorter green shoots.
Is it possible they were hungry?
If you have more grass growth than they can eat, then you need to mow to encourage healthy new shoots and keep the sward length at something manageable.

bev

Post by bev » Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:00 pm

Polly thats exactly how mine looks, its going to take more than a bit of harrowing to bring it back it will need reseeding as they have eaten the roots.
I have a picture of my rooting menaces but don#t know how to get it on here, can anyone tell me how?

DA000610

Post by DA000610 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:00 pm

We cut a very wide pathway through our feild between topping it and our kune's root this short path area first.

bev

Post by bev » Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:06 pm

Two of my 3 girls in their mud, they look very innocent don't they.
Thanks simon for showing me how to do photos. (Although it isnt very big)

Polly

Post by Polly » Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:06 pm

All I can say is 'LUCKY YOU!!!' to those whose pigs don't root! The breeder where we got our gilt said none of hers had rooted either.
Possibly it was to do with the pigs smelling apples in the soil in the orchard, I don't know (but they obviously found something very tasty!! :roll: ), and perhaps once they get into the habit of rooting you can't stop it - maybe it's also to do with soil type? On a good note our orchard has completely recovered but only after hubby totally rotovated and reseeded the entire thing!

I moved them into a much larger paddock of about one and a half acres, they do still root but because it's much bigger they don't manage quite the same destruction! Although this year they are doing a pretty good job ..... :shock: . I harrow and roll every spring but I can't eradicate the trenches they have dug, it's just a kind of damage limitation :roll:

My farmer neighbour always has a chuckle when he passes and says 'how are your non-rooting pigs then?' :lol:

bertie

re rooting

Post by bertie » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:42 pm

I have kept kunes for some 16 years and never had a problem with rooting have just got to new male kune they are 5 months old and are rooting like mad will they grow out of this ? are nose rings an option all advice welcomed

wendy scu

Re: Glorious mud?

Post by wendy scu » Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:11 pm

they may well grow out of it - i find they often root the first winter and then not thereafter.
I would definitely say no to nose rings. rooting is a natural part of pig behaviour which they obviously enjoy and feel a need to do. Better to restrict them a bit to an area which you can sacrifice temporarily.