Hard skin/ callouses

General chat about kunekune pigs
AmandaR

Hard skin/ callouses

Post by AmandaR » Sun Oct 04, 2009 5:47 pm

Over the last couple of months our 20 month old full boar has developed some large hard areas from his shoulder and down his flank on both sides. None of our other pigs have ever had anything like this. His shoulders have become much broader & I had initially put this down to his maturing but now I am not so sure as the shoulders seem to have become covered with a large, thick callous. I am quite concerned by this and would like some advice before calling out the vet.

His appetite is fine, he is still coming for as much fuss & attention as ever & his mobility doesn't seem to be affected.

Thanks in advance,

Joe & Amanda

simon

Post by simon » Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:09 pm

The skin does go tougher as they get the 'armor' plating on their shoulders.

If he is otherwise healthy its likely just a skin infestation such as mange. Treat everyone (at the same time) with dectomax and keep an eye on it.

wendy scu

Post by wendy scu » Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:52 pm

as Simon says, this is boar armour. they are literally armour plated for fighting in the wild and it will grow and thicken with age until he is almost made of stone.

when they get really old and lose their testosterone it disappears again.

redgeorge

Post by redgeorge » Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:28 pm

My boar 'welly' who is 3 yrs old is soild! his shoulders are massive and he is pure muscle! Its hard to say without seeing photos, but I would say your boy is maturing nicely. All I would say is to make sure that he has plenty of bedding, with them being such heavy animals they need plenty of cushioning.

AmandaR

Post by AmandaR » Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:06 pm

Thanks all. Armour is certainly what it feels like! The testosterone point was very handy, Wendy, as it will explain why Elvis's castrated companion doesn't have the same thing. Once again, thanks.

Joe & Amanda