Destructive

General chat about kunekune pigs
Jane M

Destructive

Post by Jane M » Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:52 pm

Up to now we've only had the usual digging to contend with but lately our 1 year old gilt and castrated boar have been quite destructive, theyre in big 2 acre field with plenty of grass but they lift 12ft gates up, when they get chance they tip over the hen runs, tonight they knocked down our door into the wash house from their enclosure, door frame and all! They get nuts twice a day and fruit inbetween. Do you think its to do with the gilts hormones? will they grow out of it or are they just bored? any suggestions, anyone with similar experience, Im a bit disheartened, I thought they would be happy where they were and Im afraid they'll harm our young chickens in the run. :!:

redgeorge

Post by redgeorge » Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:30 pm

Blimey no I have never experienced this and it sounds as though they are getting enough food and have plenty of room, do you keep their food in the wash room??

All I can suggest is getting an electric fence.

Darrell

Post by Darrell » Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:57 am

Sounds like they are being naughty teenagers,they are thinking why wait for the pig nuts when we can just help ourselfs.Try keeping the pig nuts as far away from their field as you can.They will also be after the hens food and will stop at nothing to reach it.Kunes are always hungry,its just in their nature.

simon

Post by simon » Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:57 pm

They have learnt how to get food whenever they want. Its normal for a pig to eat as much as it can...hence the name.
You just need to keep them contained however you can, they won't grow out of it.
Screw another hook on plate to the gate post to stop them lifting the gate off its hinges.

Good luck...

Jane M

Destructive

Post by Jane M » Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:12 pm

Thanks for your replies, yes they know the nuts are there, i'll try to change its location, and yes my dad provided me with a little electric fence for the gate, seemed to do the trick, now I could do with one for the door, and the other 3 gates!!!!

Di

Destructive pigs

Post by Di » Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:12 am

I have to tie the gates shut or the pigs just lift them up and go wherever they like. Not even to get at food as this is well away and locked in a shed, but just because they think they'd like a change of scenery!

Di