New to kunekune's and new here.

General chat about kunekune pigs
pollymania

New to kunekune's and new here.

Post by pollymania » Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:46 pm

I have wanted pigs for a long time, had all sorts of other animals over the years including ordinary pigs years ago but saw some kunekunes when we went to collect some sheep and fell in love! I am now the owner of 3 15 week old gilts. They have settled well but are digging like mad! The plan was to put them in with sheep and horses over winter, that way they would have the run of 5 acres, but they are digging such deep holes I am worried the horses will put a foot in one with disasterous results.
I suppose there isnt a lot I can other than fence off a small piece for them to wreck but I really did want them to have free run. They are fed pot bellied pig nuts fruit and veg twice a day and have lots of grass. Would a mineral bucket help? Although when I asked at the farm shop they said there wasnt one for pigs. Is the only answer to confine them to a small piece that turns to a mud bath? :D

Di

New to kunekunes

Post by Di » Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:47 pm

Welcome!
This is a subject that has been discussed many times here. Some pigs seem to dig and others don't. I have come to the conclusion that the type of soil has something to do with it. I have really sandy soil which rarely holds the wet. Recently 2 gilts I bred last year came back for a visit to our boar. The owners were saying how much they had dug up their paddock, 'digging for Australia' was the phrase I think. They were with me for about 9 weeks and I can honestly say did not dig once!

So, I think the general feeling is that if they dig you will need to restrict them to a smaller area that they can totally desecrate, then move them to another while the first recovers.

A friend found that her pigs dug for the first year and then lost interest and stopped. So fingers crossed!

Enjoy your pigs.

Di

wendy scu

Post by wendy scu » Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:39 pm

i agree with everything Di says,
i also had visiting sows with the same reference this year, they never dug at all whilst here and as soon as they got home, started again. I have more than 20 kunes and none of them ever dig.
i will also add that i think it is a 'teenage' thing and has something to do with growing and taking what they need from the soil - this may be why it's a 'first year' thing with some pigs.

simon

Post by simon » Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:47 pm

Something else you could try is to get the land rolled so that it is harder, with less lumps for them to get a snout under.

pollymania

Post by pollymania » Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:09 pm

Thankyou all it seems I have the wrong soil.
I rolled the land prior to them going on it - I needn't have bothered! Its so wet here though, maybe that has something to do with it.

redgeorge

Post by redgeorge » Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:32 am

yes I think t is the wetness of the soil. My land is very well drained and my KKs never dig it up at all. I have 5 Kks on 1.5 acres and you would never know they were there by the condition of the land.