Hair loss coat colour

General chat about kunekune pigs
Darrell

Hair loss coat colour

Post by Darrell » Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:15 am

I am looking into extreme hair loss in kunekunes.After speaking to other owners it looks as though black pigs are more prone to seasonal hair loss than other colours.I would be interested in other peoples views regarding this.Have any of you had non black pigs with hair loss?

wendy scu

Post by wendy scu » Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:19 pm

over the years i think i have had hair loss with every colour.
i have a black and white cast boar who is particularly bad each year and this year have two bald cream ones. i had a ginger and black sow who was bad each year too but i also have many who never lose their hair

Darrell

Post by Darrell » Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:14 am

Thanks Wendy,thats interesting.Next question,do the pigs prone to hair loss have fine silky hair or thick hair? Straight or curly? Also are they related either by mother or father? Sorry for all the questions but I am looking at the genetic side of the problem.

wendy scu

Post by wendy scu » Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:24 am

sybil and sosij Jenny/te whangi were brother and sister and both had coarse coats. the two creams are not related and are of different bloodlines sally/tutaki and kereopa/ru.

i have two very curly pigs - a trish/andrew and a awakino/andrew who have never lost a ahir. very coarse but very curly

AmandaR

Post by AmandaR » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:12 pm

I have two sisters, one is Black and coarse haired and has lost quite a bit of hair this year, we thought she was out of condition after a large litter. Her sister was dark ginger striped as a piglet and has gone 'black' is coarse haired and hasn't lost hair this year although she too had a large litter.

Their brother a castrated dark ginger striped castrated boar with coarse hair has also lost some hair this year.

Hope this adds to the genetic pot. They are all of Ru/Kereopa descent.

Darrell

Post by Darrell » Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:41 pm

Maybe I could collect more extensive data via a questionair? colours/bloodlines?,which months of the year hair loss?,also to include which type of anti parasite control used? I dont mind collecting up the information and analizing it if kune owners are interested?

wendy scu

Post by wendy scu » Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:03 pm

i could put something n the newsletter if you like - it is just going off to print.

wendy scu

Post by wendy scu » Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:10 pm

whats your surname Darrell, i can only remember half of it!! sorry :oops: