Is marking of pigs essential once they are 1 year old?

General chat about kunekune pigs
Ajayb

Is marking of pigs essential once they are 1 year old?

Post by Ajayb » Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:41 pm

Our kks were about 8 months old when we bought them and unmarked. The breeder registered them with the Society and we were sent ear tags, which I filed away, thinking (hoping!) that they were perhaps uneccessary for pet animals ... I recently read an article in 'Smallholder' which suggested that, by the time they are one year old, all pigs have to have identifiable ownership markings. Is this the law in the UK and, if so, isn't it a very unplleasant thing to do at this late stage in their development? Is 'slap marking' (which I know nothing about) a less intrusive way of marking the pigs and how do you go about this with kks?

I did think that no-one would ever know if they were marked or not but, of course, if they ever escaped (and I'm just signing up for public liaibility insurance in case they do) it would be a problem, I guess.

Anyone who knows of ultra cheap insurance (I'm looking at 'Smallholders Combined Insurance') and a pain-free way to tag my pigs, please reply!

Di

Identification

Post by Di » Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:55 pm

All pigs should be marked by the time they are a year old. I say should as that is the law. However, I am sure a lot of people don't tag until they are about to move the pigs somewhere!

Ear tagging is simple and although the pig will squeal as if you are murdering it, as soon as you have finished it will carry on eating or whatever as if nothing has happened.

If you've not done it before it is useful if someone who has shows you how. Make sure you have the right 'pliers' for the type of ear tag as they all vary. Disinfect the area of ear you are applying the tag to and then do it quickly. Don't hesitate! That's the worst you can do. If you do it while they are eating they don't see you coming.

Good luck.

Di

wendy scu

Post by wendy scu » Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:08 pm

sorry to disagree Di but its not a ctually law if they are not moving off the holding.
if you refer to http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/id-move/pigs/id.htm
you will see that it is only if they are departing from a holding.
i have had many defra and animal welfare inspections and they have always agreed that there is no need to eartag a pig unless it is leaving your holding.

incidentally, if it is leaving the holding then the BKKPS eartag is not sufficient identification as a pig must be eartagged with the herd mark number of its origin.

Di

Ear Tagging

Post by Di » Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:41 am

Sorry, I stand corrected. I forgot that many people never move their pigs off the holding!

Di

Ajayb

Post by Ajayb » Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:42 am

Thanks Di and Wendy! I think if it doesn't have to be done unless we plan to move them, we'll certainly hang fire a bit until maybe their next jabs ... It's so reassuring to be able to get advice this way. Anne

AmandaR

Post by AmandaR » Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:51 pm

In regard to public liability, I used a website called simply business and arranged insurance via them with Norwich Union, they charged ?150. This is specifically for the animals and not combined in with our home or contents insurance. Hope this helps. Amanda