Digging

General chat about kunekune pigs
ceejay

Digging

Post by ceejay » Wed May 27, 2009 10:51 am

Can anyone offer advice re my 3 6 month olds and 1 8 week old who are either snuffling for truffles, digging to get to Australia or just plain cheeky.... they're not bored or hungry but are starting to annoy my husband with their rooting!

blightowler

Post by blightowler » Wed May 27, 2009 8:35 pm

Hi Ceejay
I'm afraid, contrarary to popular belief that's what kunekunes do. I think they go through phases but I have a 1 acre field that is now so churned up they'll go into the other for a few months (I have 3 pigs) to give it a chance to recover.
After a while he'll get used to it, I have!
Brian :lol:

CarolineB

Post by CarolineB » Wed May 27, 2009 10:32 pm

i was told that they go through their naughty teenage months - where they dig and generally be naughty. Ours did within their first year but didn't really bother in their 2nd. I think some are more prone than others - we have one who basically taught the others! Whereas our other sow has never been interested.

Cx
Caroline

redgeorge

Post by redgeorge » Thu May 28, 2009 12:49 am

I am always suprised when i hear people say that their KK's dig because I have 5 KK and none of them have ever dug nor their piglets while on our land. I wonder if it is something to do with the type of soil?

Di

Digging

Post by Di » Thu May 28, 2009 3:53 pm

I am convinced it is the type of soil. I have 5 full grown kunekunes and at the moment 15 piglets and none of them dig. They never have done.

However, I have 2 girls that I bred last year who are here visiting our boar and when the owners dropped them off they were commenting on the way they dig for Australia and have churned their field up completely. Well, they've been here about a month now and haven't dug once!

Di

simon

Post by simon » Thu May 28, 2009 11:32 pm

Just looking down the list of posts, and where people were from:

Aberdeenshire - dig
Cumbria - dig
Cumbria - dig
Shropshire - no dig
Somerset - no dig

Some of ours dig, some don't. But the softness of the ground does seem to make a big difference after heavy rain. And after some digging habbits can be formed. I have been to redgeorge's in Shropshire on a rainy day, and the drainage is amazing to see.

I was recently talking with a dairy farmer and KK owner. He obviously knows a thing or two about pasture and would not put up with digging. He said that rolling the ground to make sure its hard and flat, and giving them a big area to graze is what stops the digging.

Di

Digging

Post by Di » Fri May 29, 2009 5:45 pm

I think a large area and plenty of grass help. I have 2 sows with 12 week old piglets on about 1.5 acres!! They don't dig, but also interestingly they don't wander over the whole area. Just stick to the bottom quarter.

Di

CarolineB

Post by CarolineB » Sun May 31, 2009 11:26 am

I think grass & space helps but isn't a cure. One of gilts was dreadful - we had 5 weaners, then just 2 sows on 2 acres. She's stopped doing it now, but until she was about one she would churn up so much groudn in very little time. But our other sow - never interested.

So I'd say it's soil, pig, space/grass... all contributing!
:)
Caroline

alison stephen

digging

Post by alison stephen » Sun May 31, 2009 4:51 pm

i can add some more to the aberdeenshire diggers! last year my gilt and boar dug up a whole section of field, people asked us if we dug it especially for them! a year on so far so good, no digging yet, but we have got two new piglets......watch this space

petra

very useful

Post by petra » Sun May 31, 2009 7:34 pm

We have 2 gilts and 1 boar who all go through phases depending on how much grass is available. We make use of these phases by sticking them in the vegetable plot (walled garden) at the end of the season. I saves me getting the rotavator out and they have a wonderful time!

Ajayb

Digging Habit

Post by Ajayb » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:51 am

Within weeks (maybe even days) of the arrival of our three gilts (under one year in age) they had virtually rotavated an entire section of the woodland we initially confined them to! We've recently given them access to large grassy paddocks which they still root in a little, but not excessively.

We're in central Scotland with a predominance of clay in the soil so it may be that the rooting was worse earlier in the year when the ground was wetter and softer: clay soil rapidly bakes hard in the heat, so not much rooting going on this week!

AmandaR

Post by AmandaR » Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:54 pm

Ours dig in their enclosure and don't dig when we let them out into the field. Our friends down the road have two who are always allowed out and they don't dig at all. So maybe space and quantity of grazing is a factor? Amanda