Hair

General chat about kunekune pigs
ceejay

Hair

Post by ceejay » Tue May 05, 2009 7:35 pm

Hi, wondered if anyone could offer some advice....? A couple of my 6 month olds are a bit sparse on hair - bought them like this - can anyone offer advice please? Is this normal?

simon

Post by simon » Tue May 05, 2009 10:19 pm

From time to time kunes do lose a bit of hair and its generally nothing to worry about. But most likely is that they have a skin condition. Possibly mange:
http://www.thepigsite.com/diseaseinfo/6 ... es-scabiei
An injection of something like dectomax, and change of bedding would be needed. Keep them away from other pigs.

redgeorge

Post by redgeorge » Wed May 06, 2009 12:30 am

If their hair loss is extreme then it could be mange or mites as Simon has suggested, however if it is just thinning then it could be down to their bedding. They are heavy animals and need a good layer of fresh hay to lie on.

wendy scu

Post by wendy scu » Wed May 06, 2009 10:36 am

if its mange they will show sores around the ears and base of tail with it spreading fairly rapidly,
some of them will lose their hair for no obvious reason and then it will all just grow back again - however this can span about 8-12 months.

blightowler

Post by blightowler » Wed May 06, 2009 4:49 pm

I have 2 gilts and a castrated boar who all live together, brother and sisters from the same litter, Bella the biggest hardly has any hair on her back although the rest of her body is covered , she lost it quickly over a couple of months. I think it is growing back slowly. Monty has a small bald pack and Polly is fine. I have just put it down to a natural cause seeing older threads, she is fine in herself so not worrying at all. The only worry I do have is people passing her field thinking she is neglected! Couldn't be further from the truth

Gary

Post by Gary » Sat May 09, 2009 2:51 pm

I certainly believe this to be seasonal, with some Kunes prone to hair loss and others not.
My two share the same clean bed and with regularity, for the last 4years, one has suffered.
Onset normally during Ap[ril and unfortunately lasting for about 3 months.

ceejay

Hair

Post by ceejay » Mon May 11, 2009 12:56 pm

Thanks everyone for your advice - over the last week their hair has started to grow back in and they seem fine - must be the weather!

kaz g

Post by kaz g » Tue May 12, 2009 8:32 pm

My castated boar Archie has been going bald over his back for the last 2 years. :shock: It usually starts about Jan time but grows back 7 months later. I have tried allsorts to getting an answer to this. It only affects him and not the 2 girls he lives with. My other half reckons its the stress of living with 2 hormonal girls!
I did find out that his father went bald regularly too! :shock: