Stud Fees

General chat about kunekune pigs
AmandaR

Stud Fees

Post by AmandaR » Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:05 am

Hi,

Our 18 month old boar has just provided us with two beautiful healthy litters and we now want to make him available for stud. How much are people charging/paying these days? I think we paid ?100 when we hired in in 2007. Thanks for your input.

simon

Post by simon » Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:47 pm

Amanda
try starting from the other end. Calculate how much it costs you, and how much extra it will cost you to keep a boar and other pigs around. Time, effort, feed, housing, extra injections on arrival and departure, tusk clipping. Don't forget the movement restriction regulations.

Ignore what other people do. Offer a good service for a price that is right for you.

AmandaR

Post by AmandaR » Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:56 pm

Hi Simon,

What a lovely answer, we will try on that basis. I do know, over here on the poor side of the country that people have a finite amount they are willing to pay and that is that!

Amanda

Di

Stud Fee

Post by Di » Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:01 pm

Where are you Amanda? I have always felt that certain parts of the country can command better prices than others. I am in Somerset and we are 'out on a limb' a bit. Therefore prices for piglets has to be adjusted accordingly. Likewise I think boar fees.

Glad to hear of someone else who feels the same.

Good luck

Di

wendy scu

Post by wendy scu » Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:32 pm

don't feel too sorry for them Amanda, i seem to spend my life trundling back and forth across to the east of england delivering and collecting sows for stud, and delivering piglets. There are hardly any breeders over there and hardly any boars at stud. By the time i have been paid boarding fees, stud fees and transport, they end up paying about ?300 to put a sow in pig!!
I know at least two breeders in the Suffolk Cambridgeshire area who charge way more than i do for piglets and get it without any trouble.
dont under value what you have :)

AmandaR

Post by AmandaR » Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:11 pm

Hi Di,

We are in the South of Lincolnshire. I get so many enquiries where they have to think about it once we get to talk money, they always seem to need to consult with their other half at that point!

Wendy, I'll bear in mind the scarcity of stud over here, Ihave an enquiry at the moment and we hadn't set ourselves a stud fee when he contacted us so I was just trying to get some idea without over or under valuing ourselves.

Thanks everyone for your help.
Amanda