To Castrate or not to Castrate?

General chat about kunekune pigs

If you were breeding for meat would you castrate the boars?

Yes
57%
No
43%

Total votes: 7

CarolineB

To Castrate or not to Castrate?

Post by CarolineB » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:21 pm

It is a question we're struggling to answer following Jamie's pork program. (apols to those who keep KKs as pets...)

We've hopefully got piglets due in April/May and if we're realisitc in these money tight times, then the boys will prob end up in the freezer. If we plan to "send them to the great pigsty in the sky" at around 8-10 months do you guys think we need to castrate them?

Our last boys were castrated at 2 weeks because we weren't confident that we could do the whole food thing, but it turns out we could.

I think that we'd be prob prefer to save the little tykes from the snip if they don't need to but if it is better that we get them snipped then I'm happy for the vet to come at 2 weeks. I realise that if we don't get them done then we can't sell them as pets, but I think that we'd struggle to sell them anyway.

So I guess the question is... if we don't get them done, is boar taint awful at that age, do they display unmanageable boar traits, when will they start wanting to <ahem> do the deed? Is it just easier all round to get them done?

simon

Post by simon » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:54 pm

I've never noticed boar taint in other breeds, and don't bother getting them castrated. I can't see why kunes would be different.
So long as they've gone long before tusks grow you will be ok. Save the money from the operation for extra feed and they will be ready all the quicker.

Darrell

Post by Darrell » Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:00 am

Kune entire males are willing and able to mate before they are six months old,one of mine was a father to two litters. :o If you decide not to castrate just make sure they are not kept with any females. :)

wendy scu

Post by wendy scu » Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:44 am

I agree with Darrell,
i have one born on 20th oct 08 who is now regularly checking the sows to see who's inseason,

simon

Post by simon » Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:07 pm

Surely you will be selling the females?

TraceyT

Post by TraceyT » Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:42 pm

:shock: I keep Tamworths and GOS pigs for meat and have never castrated any of my boars. As long as they haven't worked and go for slaughter at around 7 months there shouldn't be a problem with boar taint.
I certainly haven't ever experienced it. :)
' Some of us drink at the Fountain of Life, others just gargle.'

CarolineB

Post by CarolineB » Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:16 pm

Cool, thanks for the replies. I think we'd prob have to get them castrated then, as although we could keep them seperate from the girls (their mum and aunt) it would be v tricky.
Caroline