Biting Pigs

General chat about kunekune pigs
blightowler

Biting Pigs

Post by blightowler » Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:59 pm

Hi everyone
My heart goes out to Cheryl having made the decision following the biting.
I placed a stream last year after our gilt bit my youngest daughter, I have tried everything but she is fine one minute then the red mist comes down. In retrospect I wished I had taken the plunge then as I am always concerned when my two girls go to see the pigs, this weekend she bit my 13 year old. A whole lot of tears later and discussions on where food comes from and with guidance from our vet we have decided as a family to utilise her for her meat. I have been looking into the process which on this scale is an absolute nightmare but actually its the local animal health officer that has helped me the most.
We are all feeling very sad but I hope we can at the end of the day enjoy the meat. We'll only know that when it happens.
I hope I do not upset anyone with this posting I just wanted to share our thoughts
Brian

nick butler

Post by nick butler » Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:33 pm

to be honest, i agree with you, we have two females and you can literally take the food from their mouths and they dont bite, they have a little tussle amonst themselves over pecking order i did see the dog whisperer and wondered if the same training could be used, maybe one of those shock collar could be implimented (cruel to be kind) but if a pig bites you then its off to market/abatoir it goes, your safety is greater than anything

cheryl

Post by cheryl » Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:09 am

hi brian yes it was one of the hardest decisions ive had to make and it upset me and now when i walk past her pen i do feel sad but it was the right choice for me. i couldnt eat my pig but it up to you what you want to do and if your family are all fine with it then thats your choice x

Di

Biting Pigs

Post by Di » Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:03 am

At the end of the day whether it is a dangerous dog, horse or pig your life and your children's lives are more important. If an animal is dangerous then you cannot afford to keep it. Whether you turn it into meat (not the dog!!) or not is up to the individual.

You made the right decision.
Di

peapaluka

pet or pot!

Post by peapaluka » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:47 pm

:( I could never kill / murder a piggy for biting, just wear gloves! shame we can't send a few nasty people to the knackers yard too!!

pure evil i say :twisted:
animals are a girls best friend

Di

Post by Di » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:40 am

This decision is of course only the individual can make. However, I have heard people say the same about their dogs 'oh, he's only being playful' then you hear on the news that a child has been killed by a pet dog!!

Its a matter of choice. Do you risk a child or yourself being seriously injured because you can't bear to part with the pig?

wendy scu

Re: Biting Pigs

Post by wendy scu » Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:06 pm

When a pig bites - and i mean BITES, not just the usual piggy nibbling it is a serious problem. If it shows aggression then it is a dangerous animal not to be messed with.

kaz g

Post by kaz g » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:09 am

I totally agree with Wendy. Pigs have very very strong jaws and I do think you made the right decision. Not all kk's are like that. It is not easy to make that decision. If one of your family had been hurt you would feel even worse.
Best wishes.

windybankfarm

Post by windybankfarm » Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:26 pm

I agree too, I love my animals of which we have many, and am lucky that my Kunes don't bite.
I would feel bad destroying the pig, however I would feel a whole lot worse if one of my children was seriously injured.
A dangerous animal cannot be allowed as its just an accident waiting to happen!
michelle

ambriel

Post by ambriel » Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:17 pm

Absolutely right, and the precise reason we ate our cockerel fordinner a few weeks back - he was just too dangerous to risk him hurting either one of our own children or one of their friends.

Amyjane1122

Post by Amyjane1122 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:54 pm

I agree I have a few kunekunes myself they are fairly docile but do like to nibble but if my pig bit me it would have to go I'm only 22 And have a life to live for it's sad but until you've been bitten then you don't know how much damage they'll do.I love all my animals and always consider why if aggression has occurred ie piglets been born so keep this in mind but good choice . :D