Exporting to Europe?

General chat about kunekune pigs
gladmanfrance

Exporting to Europe?

Post by gladmanfrance » Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:16 pm

Has anyone any experience of exporting to France, we want to come over to UK to purchase kunekune's but not sure of the procedure/documentation involved in bringing livestock out of UK.
Would appreciate advise
Regards
TG

Rowlands

Post by Rowlands » Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:52 am

Not sure about France, but when I looked into exporting to N Ireland it seemed v complicated and expensive.
The pigs have to be held in isolation for 30 days. After 21 days they need a series of blood tests. 24 hours before travel they must be examined by a vet who will then issue a certificate confirming they're healthy. I'm sure if you're moving large numbers of animals on a regular basis this all becomes quite routine. However in my case the cost of all this was much more than the pigs were worth and the purchaser involved decided not to go ahead.
Sue

Di

Exporting to France

Post by Di » Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:54 pm

I exported a piglet to France last year and it seemed relatively simple. The purchaser did all the paperwork and all I had to do was the isolation bit which wan't a problem as it just stayed on my holding - did not need to be isolated from my other pigs.

Vet came 24 hrs prior to collection to check it over. I gave the purchaser details of my vet and paperwork came from DEFRA (?) direct to the vet.

Purchaser collected in a trailer, he had been collecting other pigs during the day (they were all in separate compartments) and took them to the ferry and home to France.

I received an email to say all had gone smoothly and after a sleep and something to eat piglet was bouncing around.

Di

wendy scu

Post by wendy scu » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:11 pm

yes, i agree with Di, have exported to Holland, belgium, Germany and france and pretty straight forward, although quarantines vary