Buy British!!

General chat about kunekune pigs
wendy scu

Buy British!!

Post by wendy scu » Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:55 am

Did anyone watch Jamie Oliver's expose of the european pork trade last night?
it was very grim indeed -
i won't bore you with the details as no doubt it will be in the papers but no matter how strapped for cash you are in these trouble times, if you must eat pork,
BUY BRITISH - and check on the pakcaging that it has been reared in GB not imported and packed in GB.
Although the pork trade here is not a pretty one, it is a far better lot for the poor old pigs than the europeans give them :( :(

Marmite

Post by Marmite » Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:35 pm

Hi, I did watch the programme last night. I think Jamie did an excellent job at promoting Brittish Pork and I agree it was very grim watching - could not watch the final moment!

If you are going to eat meat and pork especially I must say Waitose are great at promoting animal welfare in all their products. Lets hope that more people now buy Free rangs as a result of the programme. :)

redgeorge

Post by redgeorge » Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:44 pm

It was very shocking! I agree Jamie did an excellent job and put across his point very passionately and heartfelt. I went straight to the fridge after and checked the small print on my 'GB' ham from Morrisons only to find it is from'EU' source :evil:

I thought that the sow racks that they use in the EU are absolutely barbaric and the tail docking and castration - OMG poor pigs!

wendy scu

Post by wendy scu » Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:32 am

Yes,
i went straight to the fridge and checked my organic bacon only to find it was 'produce of DENMARK!'
its off to the local butcher from now on and if we can't afford it then my family will have to eat more toast and less bacon :)

ukag0972

Post by ukag0972 » Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:49 pm

I'm shocked that you don't have your own supply of meat, from your own pigs or other free range pig producers.

I'm very lucky to have my own supply of free range, uncastrated, not tail docked, non sow crated or stalled rare breed tamworth pork and bacon.

I can't eat my kunekunes', they're my pride and joy!!

Jamie's programme hopefully opened up the eyes of the public as to where their bacon sarnie originated.

wendy scu

Post by wendy scu » Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:34 pm

i'm a veggie although i do not impose my views on the rest of my family so still end up buying and cooking meat.
we are a long way from town and i never have time to go to farmers markets etc but in future will find time to do just that and buy meat that way.
i only keep kunes as i started off many years ago with a couple of GOS for the freezer and still have them :D they must be at least 10 years old by now but as soon as i met pigs and realised what intelligent friendly and sociable creatures they were i knew i could never consider killing one to eat it whether it was a tall pink one or a little spotted hairy one,

i did used to rear lambs for the freezer but the older i get the harder i find it to kill anything at all - even spiders :) !! so we go shopping now instead.

ukag0972

Post by ukag0972 » Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:35 pm

My apologies, I made an assumption that pig keepers ate their own!!

If you go on the river cottage website, there is some people who will "do the deed" and some deliver. It's definately worth the wee bit extra!!

wendy scu

Post by wendy scu » Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:48 pm

cheers
I'll have a look

TraceyT

Post by TraceyT » Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:51 pm

Hi all. I already knew about the horrors of the commercial pig industry. I keep Tamworths and Gloucester Old Spots for meat. They are all born and reared outside and although not strictly free range, do have large pens with warm straw bedding and they can root and dig to their hearts content. They get a balanced diet of pig nuts, fresh fruit and veg and the occasional stale cakes! I have been worrying about my pigs recently because they are in a lot of mud, but after watching the Jamie Oliver programme, I feel much better. :) At least they have felt the sun on their backs and had a chance to engage in their natural behaviour. :D I cannot think of anything as cruel as sow stalls. :( :( :( These are one of the most intelligent creatures on the planet and we treat them like machines, abused so as to achieve maximum profit. :evil:
I cannot get my head around the fact that, even though the Government has outlawed the type of conditions these poor pigs are kept in, they are more than willing for us to buy the meat and by-products from these wretched creatures. Double standards???? :evil: :evil:
I would urge anyone who eats meat, be it pork, beef, lamb, poultry etc., to make sure, beyond doubt that it is British. Let's all do our bit for the Great British meat industry!!! :)
' Some of us drink at the Fountain of Life, others just gargle.'

debbiepougher

Jamie Oliver

Post by debbiepougher » Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:00 am

Yes I did watch the program and found it very upsetting. Those poor pigs.
It made me really aware of checking labels and they are very often misleading as the program indicated. Lets all get behind Jamie and buy BRITISH every time. :lol:
Debbie

kaz g

Post by kaz g » Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:28 pm

I watched the programme too and I found it very informative but too upsetting to watch at times. :cry: I totally agree with BUY BRITISH every time!!

nick butler

Post by nick butler » Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:14 am

After watching chicken out and jamies latest programme, we only buy free range chicken where we have to (although nearly all cockeral we rear end up in the freezer),
We reluctanly send any pig that doesnt get sold and gets to a year old to the freezer, i know that my pigs have had a great life doing everything they should,
I think we have all been duped by the producers, a bit of green grass and a tree on the labelling gives the impression of an outdoor life, and wiltshire cured bacon, ends up being imported meat thats cured in wiltshire, its all in the marketing, for far too long people go to the supermarket where its all nicely packaged,
Remember the proper butcher that would have half a pig hanging in his shop, and heads in the window, just reminding you that indeed you are actually eating an animal
Its just a shame most of us are programmed to go to the supermarket for our food, we should use the local butchers, and ask where the meat comes from,
sorry if ive deviated from the original post but i agree british jobs, british workers, BRITISH FOOD