pig auctions

General chat about kunekune pigs
Rowlands

pig auctions

Post by Rowlands » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:11 am

Has anyone any experience of selling pigs at auction?
The only enquiry I've had from my most recent ad in the local paper offering piglets and a sow for sale, was from someone organising a pig auction at a local livestock market. Apparently its the first one to take place locally since foot and mouth, and this chap was very keen for me to take my pigs along. I'm not sure its a good idea- I wouldn't be able to "vet" the owners before they bought so could not be sure they were going to good homes, which makes me slightly uncomfortable. Apart from that it'll cost ?50 in petrol and if they don't sell at a reasonable price will be a complete waste of time and money and upsetting for the pigs.
Is there anything I need to know before making the decision, do I need to take anything with me apart from the ususal movement forms? I'll ask the auction house the same question but any feedback from the society would be helpful.
Sue

wendy scu

Post by wendy scu » Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:25 pm

my only experience of auctions has been second hand but i was told last year of them going at auction in cornwall for ?25.
they have also appeared in the ross rare breed sale many years ago and went for the same price so i don't think you'll get much for them. most people buying at auction buy them to bring on for meat.
springs coming so things will look up - this is an awful time of year to sell,

simon

Post by simon » Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:14 pm

I assume you mean Kendal auction mart. I wouldn't take kunes along - I doubt there would be anyone there who was interested. It will be the meat trade. I've been to the pig auctions at Gisburn, Skipton and Clitheroe which are relatively close by and never seen any kunes.

Someone took 2gilts along to York rare breed sale last year and got a price of ?220. But I wasn't there so I'm not sure what they were like:
http://www.ylc.co.uk/xstandard/services/RBOct2008.pdf

What have you got to sell? Could you PM me some pictures?

Rowlands

Post by Rowlands » Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:40 am

That's very helpful- thank you. Doesn't sound as though its worth taking them to Kendal- I'd rather keep them for slaughter myself than let them go for ?25. Shame York is a bit far for us to go.
In reply to Simon, I've got 6 black castrated boars to sell and a black sow who's 18 months old. If you're interested I can send you photos in the post- I'm ashamed to say that I doen't know how to put pictures on this message board.
Sue

TraceyT

Post by TraceyT » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:05 pm

Hi, I have only ever been to a livestock auction once and it is not an experience I would wish to repeat. :cry:
The animals were poked and prodded with undue force and were absolutely terrified. :cry: :cry:
None of my animals will ever have to suffer this indignity and I would implore all animal lovers to give these horrific torture chambers a wide berth. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
' Some of us drink at the Fountain of Life, others just gargle.'