A Christmas Tale

General chat about kunekune pigs
Darrell

A Christmas Tale

Post by Darrell » Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:56 am

On Christmas eve afternoon we delivered two gilt piglets, to be a much longed for christmas present for a little girl.The two piglets were placed in their two acre paddock with new fencing and a luxury new ark.
On christmas day we received a phone call from the family,they were completely distraught as the two piglets had escaped during the night,were then found asleep in a neighbours barn but during recapture one piglet had been attacked by a dog and had disappeared into the woods.
As the family were so upset and had been searching all morning we decided to forget Christmas dinner and went to kent armed with a bucket of pig nuts.Together we searched acres of woods and orchards until dark but no sign of the piglet :( We worried all night about a mauled piglet lying in the undergrowth somewhere.
Boxing day morning we received a call,the piglet had returned uninjured to its sibling.She was at the gate waiting for breakfast :D

Di

A Christmas Tale

Post by Di » Sat Dec 27, 2008 4:40 pm

Thank goodness. You did the right thing. Christmas lunch can be eaten anytime.

So glad it all ended happily.

Di

wendy scu

Post by wendy scu » Sun Dec 28, 2008 8:01 pm

god how awful poor you!
i'm so glad it ended well,

I also had a horror story last week =
went to collect pig nuts and while at the millwas chatting to a friend of a lady who had two piglets from me last year. during the conversation i learned that the gilt piglet had been killed by her dogs soon after she got it. Ifelt sick about it for days. i was also quite angry that she hadn't the nerve to tell me so had l kept the other one alone all this time. She has now got two others that she rescued (as adults).

As a tip for the future Darrell, i always tell people to keep their piglets shut in for two or three days when they take them just until they find their feet, even if it means building a small pen from hurdles around the arc.
sorry to be wise after the event :(