my girls

General chat about kunekune pigs
cheryl

my girls

Post by cheryl » Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:32 pm

hi all betty and tilly are getting on well. betty is getting bigger and is expecting piglets in jan :lol: ive noticed on preloved and other sites that piglets registered are being sold cheap when i was looking 8 months ago i found it hard to find a piglet under 200.00 pound and if so miles away. i wll have to see how it goes but following the soicety i will adervertise at 150.00 on a positive note i cant wait :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: xx

simon

Post by simon » Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:20 pm

Its up to you how much your piglets are worth. If you had trouble finding some for less than ?200, then doubtless other people do as well.

We have just sold all our latest litter by 4weeks old. But you need to work at it. Some people seem to think they can breed animals and just watch the money roll in - nothing works like that.

One or two people I have spoken to have been quite annoyed that they were left with piglets from a litter. But when I asked how they had tried to sell them, couldn't think of anything they had done.

Some of the ones on preloved are either the left over ones that don't have the 'cutest' colourings or are quite a bit older than 8weeks, and feeding them is becoming tiresome so people are finally advertising them.

cheryl

Post by cheryl » Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:52 pm

thanks simon do you advertise your piglets on other sites as well as kunekune society most people i speak to they sell there piglets well but the last few weeks on this forum there seems to be problems with selling. i think 150.00 is good and the joy they bring :lol: :lol: :lol: xx

simon

Post by simon » Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:04 pm

A lot of successful queries come from being on the kune society pages - I think thats because people looking there are wanting pedigree stock. I have advertised on other sites, but sometimes it just generates emails from people who then go off and buy an unregistered kune.

Don't just think internet though. Local papers, newsagents windows and inviting everyone you know round to see them can generate interest from local people. Word of mouth works great and its free.

wendy scu

Post by wendy scu » Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:33 pm

great to hear some positive feedback on selling Simon

redgeorge

Post by redgeorge » Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:48 pm

I had no problems selling mine at all. I was still getting phone calls and emails weeks after the last one had gone! I did very little advertising too. Mainly word of mouth and on here.

cheryl

Post by cheryl » Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:19 pm

thanks all its nice to see positive feedback i think everyone round where i live nows ive got pigs. piglets coming as i dont stop talking about them :lol: tesco because iam always buying cheap veg bread but i must say i find my pigs such a joy and its one of the best things ive done :lol: :lol:

redgeorge

Post by redgeorge » Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:46 pm

They are a real joy I agree! Good luck with the piglets look forward to their arrival!

cheryl

Post by cheryl » Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:45 pm

hi all thanks redgeorge :lol:

cheryl

Post by cheryl » Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:01 am

hi all tilly was drippling a bit was worried so spoke to wendy who pput my mind at rest so thanks wendy again :lol: had to buy some more bark because its like a bog down there. i now they like mud but i could imagaine waking up and there be in the same spot they where in the night before :oops: so got a very full day today :lol: x x

cheryl

Post by cheryl » Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:09 pm

hi all me again well bark was delivered the last lot i paid 20.00 pound for could not get any more from him asked around gots some but it was 100.00 well neally fell through the floor but agreed as he said it will be enough for both pens well theres tons and tons and ton and tons and tons neally done one pen and its thick and not even dented the stuff and beatty got out of her pen today. when wendy drop betty of she had a pig board i dont have one of those so out came me plastic white dinner tray bad news i just feed her so round the garden iwent dinner tray one hand ratting nuts other not bad only took half hour but it was funny :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: xx

wendy scu

Post by wendy scu » Sat Dec 06, 2008 7:57 am

God Cheryl you are a scream, i really enjoy your posts! :lol:

Darrell

Post by Darrell » Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:59 am

Hi cheryl, your post reminds me of what happened back in August.I had been giving my sow Cilla extra pig nuts because she had just weaned a litter of nine.I think I must have conditioned her up too much because she jumped our 3 foot 6inch stock fence and came running up the field to greet me! I put her back in her paddock with some food,as I walked away she cleared the fence again! She continued to jump the fences for several days but always went straight back for pig nuts.I think kunekunes are hilarious characters.

Di

My girls

Post by Di » Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:19 am

I have a bit of fencing that is 'weak'!! My girls happily climb over it and back again when they feel like it. Its not too important where they stay so I just let them get on with it but as you say they are hilarious.

Di

cheryl

Post by cheryl » Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:54 am

hi all it was funny darrell its was like a bolt of lighting she run fast iam thinking of sticking a couple of xmas decoration on the bark because i think it will be there a long time or i miight go into selling bark 1.00 a bag xxx :lol: