Not pig related!

General chat about kunekune pigs
TraceyT

Not pig related!

Post by TraceyT » Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:21 am

:D Hi everyone, I know this is not pig related, but I know a lot of you guys keep other animals as well as pigs. What I would like to know is if any of you have had any experience of using adapted caravans for poultry housing. Mine are free range during the day and have conventional coops for night time housing, but I have a 28' X 10' static caravan which I would like to convert into a night time house. It would be totally gutted inside and nest boxes, perches, feeders and drinkers installed. Temperature would be controlled by heating and air conditioning. Windows would be removed and replaced with wire mesh.
I think it's perfect as it's off the ground and fox and vermin proof. :) .
Any comments would be gretefully received. Cheers, Tracey. :)
' Some of us drink at the Fountain of Life, others just gargle.'

simon

Post by simon » Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:11 pm

I'm sure it would make a luxury home for them, but it seems a bit of a waste.
I assume this caravan is a bit of a wreck, but I recently tried to buy one on ebay, and you'd be surprised how much these things go for. Even complete wrecks get used by builders etc and can cost several hundred.
That would buy you a very nice new cabin.

TraceyT

Post by TraceyT » Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:19 am

Actually, Simon, it is not a wreck, in fact we are currently living in it. The problem is our wonderful council want to kick us off our land, and if that happens I would rather my chickens use it than the council take it away. :x

Diane

Post by Diane » Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:12 pm

Don't know if you ever saw the TV programme "Jimmy's Farm"...but they did exactly what you are thinking of and successfully converted their caravan into a chicken house.

TraceyT

Post by TraceyT » Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:05 pm

:D Hi Diane, yes I did watch Jimmy's Farm, in fact that's where I got the idea from originally. I have been in touch with Animal Health and DEFRA who came out to look at the caravan and gave me the thumbs up for my hen Hilton. :lol:
I am looking forward to the renovation, hopefully in the spring when the weather gets better! :shock: