Piglets urinating in arc

General chat about kunekune pigs
Linzwhit1

Piglets urinating in arc

Post by Linzwhit1 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:59 pm

Hi, I’m new to pig keeping and have 3 kunekune piglets that are 10wks old. My piglets are urinating in their pug arc shelter. Is this normal and is it just because they are young? Most information I’ve read has said tar pigs are very clean and won’t dirty their bed.
They have their arc which is filled with straw and then are free to go in and out of that as they please to graze in the pen. Do I maybe need to do something differently? The arc does smell (I have now cleaned it out) quite strong and I don’t like to think of them in there breathing in strong urine fumes.
Any help or advice would be much appreciated. Thank you 😊

simon

Re: Piglets urinating in arc

Post by simon » Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:27 am

Pigs won't soil their bed. But in a large space they will only consider part of it to be the bed, even if your opinion differs. They are presumably still small and won't consider all of the arc to be bedding.
So you could block off half or most of the arc until they get bigger and just leave them with the bedding area they are currently using for now.

Give the arc floor a good clean with products to take the smell away - they use smell to identify the toilet area. You can also encourage them to use a specific spot outside by piling up their muck.