housing?

General chat about kunekune pigs
LucyJ

housing?

Post by LucyJ » Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:02 am

hi im hopefully getting 2 kunekune piglets at the start of october so im fairly new to them! and was wondering where is the best place to keep them? I have a failry large grass area or i have some unused stables?

wendy scu

Post by wendy scu » Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:52 pm

hi Lucy
you will definitely need to keep them outside - Kunes are grazing pigs and will need at least half an acre of ground to keep two,
you could put them in a stable overnight while they are little but their main food is grass so they need plenty of it,

LucyJ

Post by LucyJ » Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:21 am

thanks for your help! :)
i definitely have plenty of grass for them! but are they ok to stay outside in the winter? :?:

simon

Post by simon » Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:26 am

LucyJ wrote:thanks for your help! :)
are they ok to stay outside in the winter? :?:
Even when it snows, so long as they have access to a dry shelter thats filled with straw and free of drafts.

Buy this book, its really good for new kune owners:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Starting-Pigs-B ... 215&sr=8-1

LucyJ

Post by LucyJ » Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:47 am

thanks! :) probably should get a book!

Ali Webster

Post by Ali Webster » Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:39 pm

Hi Lucy, they will definitely need some where draft free and dry to sleep, and a pig arc is an ideal solution. I would say that because kunes are pets, which will hopefully have a far greater life span than porkers, if you are looking at an arc, the metal ones are not ideal because they can get too hot in the the sun / summer (when we have one!) and are too cold in the winter. Bidgemere arcs are great, we have one which is wood lined, and they now do them sized down, especially for kunes. Wendy Scudamore is an agent and her contact details are found under the "contacts" tab on this site. Alternatively you could look at carbery arc, which are green plastic ones, which look a bit like a halved oil tank. We have both types, but the pigs prefer the bidgemere becuase it's got a wooden floor inside it too :D ! Hope the above helps. Starting with pigs by Andy Case is a good book, which refers to kunes aswell. Best wishes, Ali

LucyJ

Post by LucyJ » Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:15 pm

Thank you for all your help and info!! i really appreciate it! :) i cant wait to get them! but i really want to be prepared for when they arrive :lol: !!

Diane

Post by Diane » Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:49 pm

Does any of you fields have a barn/field shelter that is waterproof and provides shelter from the elements?? Something like this would be just fine once padded with straw - pig arcs are quite an expense.

wendy scu

Post by wendy scu » Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:52 am

any type of shelter is fine, although i noticec when i dleiver arcs that lots of poeple start with a childs playhouse because its cheaper, then when the pig is about 18 months old it has a scratch and the whole thing turns to matchwood!
Arcs start at ?270, but i'm not trying to sell you one as i don't deliver to Norfolk!
The good thing about having an arc is that unlike barns and sheds you can move them from paddock to paddock if you need to move your pigs.

wendy scu

Post by wendy scu » Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:53 am

sorry Yarm!
my sister used to live in Yarm, lovely town,

LucyJ

Post by LucyJ » Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:30 am

Diane wrote:Does any of you fields have a barn/field shelter that is waterproof and provides shelter from the elements?? .
yes i have barns and also unused stables? that are well sheltered and are fairly big too! i think i might put them in the stables on a night until i work out if an arc would be best? however the stables are not right next to the field? is this a bad idea?

simon

Post by simon » Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:35 am

LucyJ wrote:
Diane wrote:however the stables are not right next to the field? is this a bad idea?
Its a great idea. Spend nothing until you have them, and then the pigs will help you work out whats best for you.
They will follow you to the end of the world so long as you are rattling a bucket of feed.

wendy scu

Post by wendy scu » Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:36 am

you'll be able to walk them back and forth with a busket easily enough but what will they shelter in during the day?
if its cold or raining they will want to get in the dry and warm and pigs sleep quite a lot during the day too.
you'll definitely need a shelter of some kind in the field,

it will be a bit of a bind having to bring them in at night and turn them out in the mornings.

LucyJ

Post by LucyJ » Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:37 am

wendy scu wrote:i noticec when i dleiver arcs that lots of poeple start with a childs playhouse because its cheaper
i didnt know people did this actually, its quite a good idea! :) but i think i will eventually buy a pig arc but will just start them off in the stables because they will be fairly young when i get them. Im just worried incase i put them some where wrong!! :cry:
And yes yarm i lovely isnt it! i live right near it in Aislaby, was a bit flooded the last couple of weeks though! :roll: but thats brittish weather for you! Oh and that reminds me.. are pigs alright outside in poor weather? or is it better to put them inside when the weather is bad (as in inside stables/barns etc)?

LucyJ

Post by LucyJ » Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:39 am

simon831 wrote:
LucyJ wrote:
Diane wrote: They will follow you to the end of the world so long as you are rattling a bucket of feed.
oh good! :lol: so they are not ever likely to run off? oh and do foxs attack pigs? (random question i know but we've had a few round the farm lately?)