General discussion

General chat about kunekune pigs
Anna Leska

General discussion

Post by Anna Leska » Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:55 pm

Hi
I had put a post in about rooting in the Feeding section, as I had wondered if it was the the way I was feeding/weaning the pigs.
I have read the other posts about the subject of rooting and they were helpful in one sense, but also filled me with some concern as we got the pigs to graze and fertilise the orchard, which being newly planted I do not want destroyed.
My question in the post was can rooting be prevented? Has anyone successfully diverted their pigs?
I am considering some electric fencing to extend the half acre enclosure in which I am currently confining them.
Sorry if this is a bit of a ramble
Anna

Dean

Post by Dean » Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:31 pm

Hi Anna

Electric fencing to stop them reaching your planted area sounds good.

The other option is to ring their snouts, but I have met a few folk who don't believe that it works, so electric fencing sounds best.

Dean

Anna Leska

general discussion

Post by Anna Leska » Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:03 pm

Thanks Dean
A local farmer had suggested ringing them, but he didn't know if it was legal any more. I can check this with the vet.
Has anyone out there tried it , as I obviousy would not want to put them through something and it not work.
Anna

wendy scu

Post by wendy scu » Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:36 am

Hi Anna,
i have never tried ringing but i believe it works although occassinally the rings come out
the rings need to be along the top edge of the snout, not through the centre.
i find that rooting is often just seasonal and stops when the ground gets drier again (not much comfort in the current climate!)

Diane

Post by Diane » Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:20 pm

Surely ringing a pigs nose prevents them from exhibiting their natural behaviour - a pig explores and learns about it's environment through it's nose and rooting. It's a natural instinct.

Seems cruel to me - I'd look to fencing solutions instead...good luck

Diane

Re: general discussion

Post by Diane » Sun Sep 07, 2008 4:31 pm

Anna Leska wrote: A local farmer had suggested ringing them, but he didn't know if it was legal any more.
It's not illegal but is something that isn't really recommended.

Two DEFRA documents cite:

"Nose ringing is used by some farmers to minimise paddock damage and promote grass survival. Although nose ringing can protect ground cover and has environmental advantages, there are serious welfare concerns over this practice, and it should be avoided wherever possible" (Controlling soil erosion - 2005)

"Nose ringing is a mutilation and should be avoided wherever possible" (Code of Recommendations for the Welfare of Livestock: Pigs - 2003)

Gary

Post by Gary » Sun Sep 14, 2008 6:16 pm

If it was known for sure why pigs root then possibly ways could be considered to divert them, there are many theories on this point save to say that it is a natural instinct.
Even "ASK JEEVES" doesn't know !
As mentioned previously in posts, personally, I believe it's a juvenile and often seasonal activity.
I can assure you that ringing their noses is not only an unpleasant act to witness but it does not work.

Gary..

Darrell

Rooting

Post by Darrell » Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:59 am

Regarding kunes rooting, an eighty year old pig farmer gave me some good advice last winter: when feeding pig nuts, scatter them on old sheets of corrugated metal.At least it stops them rooting for the smell of an elusive pig nut. :wink: