Dry skin treatment

General chat about kunekune pigs
Jennifer Hart

Dry skin treatment

Post by Jennifer Hart » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:21 am

Hi I would l appreciate some advice on the best way to keep the skin of my (2) 4 year old castrate kunekunes in good condition. For the past year it has been very flaky especially on the back. They recently had to be treated for mites which I think they got from the hay I was putting in their ark in winter. They developed bald patches on the side of the cheeks and on their backs. The vet injected against the mites and gave an antibiotic 2 weeks later as they got a secondary infection. The hair is now beginning to grow back on one of them and I have been brushing them with a soft brush on flaky areas and spraying with animal oil to keep the skin supple. The vet advised I give them a Crystalix block for them to lick as he thought they may have a zinc deficiency. They have been having this for the past 2 weeks and one is now regrowing hair but not the other. I feed them on Allen and Page pot bellied pig food and they have apples, carrots, and swedes daily plus grass cuttings in the summer. However I wonder if I should give them something like an Omega oil supplement. I don't want my piggie to have a bare back when the summer comes (he is ginger and black) and his skin seems very sensitive at the moment. Any advice would be very welcome please. Jennie

The Rushbury Pig

Re: Dry skin treatment

Post by The Rushbury Pig » Wed May 10, 2017 12:20 pm

Hi Jennie,

You seem to have identified all the issues and treated accordingly and your piggies sound like they live a wonderful life.

kunekune around the age yours are do often go through a seasonal loss of hair or just randomly develop bald patches too so you may see this happen again with no obvious reason. I am not aware of supplements that help but you can use pig oil, baby oil or simple moisturisers to the skin and rub in to help with skin condition. If you are concerned about the sun you can add sun cream or simply provide a wallow so they can cover themselves in mud. A mud wallow obviously provides hours of fun and satisfaction in hot weather but can be good for the skin too :D

Your vet maybe able to recommend a supplement, please share on here if you find something good :)
Cheerio for now, Sam Jones :-)

BKKPS Chairperson
Email : samjonesbkkps@aol.com
Tel: 0845 489 5863, leaving a message for the secretary who will forward to me.