Pig wanted for West Midlands Primary school

General chat about kunekune pigs
lanabellj9

Pig wanted for West Midlands Primary school

Post by lanabellj9 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:30 pm

Hi All,
We are a local primary school in the Walsall area, West Midlands. We are looking for a friendly pig to join our expanding family of animals. We already home 4 ducks, 4 chickens, a pheasant, 3 budgies. We have room for a pig to join us. The children play an active part in taking care of the animals, they learn about the animals, what they eat, daily care. The animals are cared for all year round. I understand we need a county parish holding number. I hope you can help or advise me. Thank you

The Rushbury Pig

Re: Pig wanted for West Midlands Primary school

Post by The Rushbury Pig » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:01 am

Hello there!

How wonderful! A word of advice, you will find that people will only sell their pigs in pairs as pigs are herd animals and really need the company of another pig.

I live in Shropshire, we also have a Regional Rep, called Jan Glover, living not to far away. Between us we should be able to offer you lots of support.

I am aware of two four year old pedigree kunekune that have been brought up in a family home that are looking for re-homing. I bred them so know them well. They are on the Shrops/Cheshire border I think. These might be perfect for what you are looking for. Very calm and steady and used to being around primary age children.

I will get the lady who owns them to come on here to reply to your message.

We can help with transport if that is an issue.

Email me on samjonesbkkps@aol.com if I can be of any more help
Cheerio for now, Sam Jones :-)

BKKPS Chairperson
Email : samjonesbkkps@aol.com
Tel: 0845 489 5863, leaving a message for the secretary who will forward to me.

carolyn

Post by carolyn » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:09 am

Hi there
We have 2 kunekunes, brother and sister.. as Sam says they are 4 years old and have been with us throughout. They are used to children, we have 4!, and our local primary school pays them a yearly visit for KS1 pupils.
We are reluctantly rehoming them as we have to move house. They really are no trouble. Spotty is deaf so is not easily spooked and Benny loves nothing more than a tummy rub. Please let me know if you would like photos etc.
These piggies will be free to a good home!

Malthouse

Post by Malthouse » Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:09 am

Hi, Jan Glover, Central region rep here. Do you have enough land for two pigs? You will need at least an acre, split into two paddocks, with a constant supply of fresh water and shelter. Securely fenced too so pigs can't get out and intruders can't get in.