Registering a rescue pig!!!

General chat about kunekune pigs
ellieamber

Registering a rescue pig!!!

Post by ellieamber » Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:26 pm

I recently rescued a kunekune boar that had been mistreated, he is entire and i think he is a full kune as he has piri, my question is how would i go about registering him as i doubt the people who previously 'looked after him' registered him.
Would i ever be able to breed from him?
Also i have 2 gilts (definitely kune) who im not sure are registered or not, the previous owner said that her sire was the offspring of a boar at dalehouse farm but she usually raises her piglets for meat so i am not sure if they would have registered them. Unlike the boar i bought these gilts, but after coming on this forum to read about breeding (as i was hoping to breed from one of them in the future) i saw a post about making sure you only buy from people you know are registered and im not sure if they have been.

I am relatively new to owning kune pigs (have previously had other breeds) as i only got the gilts in August last year so not sure if they have to be registered or how to check if they are already.
If you could give me any advice on what to do itd be most welcome, thanks.

simon

Re: Registering a rescue pig!!!

Post by simon » Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:15 pm

Hi, and welcome to the forum.

First thing - do the pigs have ear tags you can read the numbers from? If so the registrar will be able to check the pedigree herdbook and issue new certificates if the pigs were originally registered. The offspring of two pedigree parents can be registered.

If there are no ear tags the options are limited. As with any pedigee breed, to be registered you need to know for certain the lineage of the animal and the breeder is the only one who knows that.

You could still breed for meat, but obviously the society encourages breeding from pedigree stock.