Winter advice needed

General chat about kunekune pigs
HaileysHappyPigs

Winter advice needed

Post by HaileysHappyPigs » Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:21 pm

Hello all - I am hoping that you lovely experienced kunekune keepers can help me. This will be our first winter with our girls. In the summer they had around a 1/4 acre to roam in and plough up. We then, at the start of winter, brought them into a small area which we have totally covered in concrete paving slabs for hard standing. They have their arc (facing away from the wind as much as possible) and room to move around. I worry to the point it keeps me awake at night that they are bored, they will be too cold (they have plenty of straw) that they will catch pneumonia, etc etc etc. Am I right to worry, or am I been over protective. Please help as I am convinced that I need to re-home them.

toni

Re: Winter advice needed

Post by toni » Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:57 am

Hello, as long as they have each other and plenty of straw, they will be warm.

In terms of keeping them entertained, how about buying a feed toy that is often used to relieve boredom in horses? I have one for my pigs and fill it with pig nuts and then they push it around and small amounts of feed drops out, which keeps them busy. The other thing I do is give them an old tyre and they push that around too. You can also try scattering small amounts of cut up veg/fruit through their straw for them to root around for. Obviously you just need to reduce their main feed if you're giving them extra treats so they don't put on weight.

I also go and sit with my pigs in the evenings after I get home from work and chat to them or lie on them and read a magazine by torchlight - they like the company.

It's better to be over-protective than under protective, after all their your pets and if you love yours like I love mine, then you're bound to want to give them the best life possible.