Introducing a kk piglet to a dog

General chat about kunekune pigs
J-k-a-k

Introducing a kk piglet to a dog

Post by J-k-a-k » Mon Nov 14, 2016 3:17 pm

Hi there im new here. Have just acquired a kunekune piglet for my husband who always said he wanted a pig. Just wondering if anyone had experience on introducing their dog to the piglet? I have a Jack Russell who is fine with our 2 cats but I'm worried as she's never seen a pig before lol. She has seen the pig as we had it in the living room and our dog bella wasn't aggressive etc and think she just wants to play but I still worry. Should it be done the same as introducing cats etc? I know if we leash her she will feel more threatened by this. Any tips?

The Rushbury Pig

Re: Introducing a kk piglet to a dog

Post by The Rushbury Pig » Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:04 pm

Hello there,

It is a tricky one because piglets can be quite forward OR very nervous!! If they rush in it can startle a dog and they can react in a negative way. A piglet/pig can fight back if challenged by a dog so be ready for this to happen as you will have to step in promptly to ensure there is no harm to either party

I would be very cautious, treat it in exactly the same way as you would introducing a cat is probably a good approach :)

My terrier will put pigs and piglets in their place if they interfere with him but my spaniel is far more circumspect and more likely to run off. You know your dog so go with your gut feeling but do expect the unexpected from the piglet!!!
Cheerio for now, Sam Jones :-)

BKKPS Chairperson
Email : samjonesbkkps@aol.com
Tel: 0845 489 5863, leaving a message for the secretary who will forward to me.