Introducing a new piglet

General chat about kunekune pigs
victoria-blythe

Introducing a new piglet

Post by victoria-blythe » Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:47 pm

Hi all,

I am new to posting on the board (though I do read it alot!) Was wondering if anyone had any advice for introducing a piglet, I have 2 lovely sows (5 & 7 years old) and have recently been offered a 12 week old castrated boar as his owners bought him as a house pet but have changed their minds. :cry: Does anyone have any tips on the best way to introduce them, to be honest I can't see the girls being too bothered by him really, as he is hardly a threat to their food! Any ideas gratefully received! :D

simon

Re: Introducing a new piglet

Post by simon » Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:42 pm

Consider isolating him for 21 days for biosecurity reasons.

After that just put them together, most likely they will bully him for a few days but then it will settle down.
But you will need to feed him separately to make sure they won't just eat all the feed.

But make certain he is castrated don't take anyones word for it, so have a feel. If hes only 12weeks you may still be able to see a scar.

victoria-blythe

Post by victoria-blythe » Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:09 pm

Thanks Simon! Fab advice! :)

The Rushbury Pig

Post by The Rushbury Pig » Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:07 pm

The only additional advice I would offer in a situation like this is that I put my dog crate in the same area with a corrugated roof on top so that the young pig can sleep in there for a couple of days until the older pigs let them into the main ark. You can even move the crate closer and closer to the main ark if that is possible. After 2 to 4 days they generally all sleep together and there are no problems especially when they are as young as 12 weeks :)
Cheerio for now, Sam Jones :-)

BKKPS Chairperson
Email : samjonesbkkps@aol.com
Tel: 0845 489 5863, leaving a message for the secretary who will forward to me.

victoria-blythe

Post by victoria-blythe » Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:15 am

Ooooh, that's a good idea Sam! Thanks :) Love this board!!!