Piri advice please?

General chat about kunekune pigs
Tim McLoughlin

Piri advice please?

Post by Tim McLoughlin » Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:25 pm

Hi

My little boar was born with two Piri but one has since fallen off after they both became quite dangly. Will he still be OK to breed from? Could he still be shown in the future? He's a great little chap in other respects!

Thanks,

Tim

Buffy the eggs layer

Re: Piri advice please?

Post by Buffy the eggs layer » Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:26 pm

From a breed standard point of view the piri should be firmly attached. Having said that, if you feel that your boar is 100% in every other way and you put him with a genetically diverse sow with good piri then the weak dangly piri trait in your boar could be lost in next generation of piglets.

HTH

The Rushbury Pig

Re: Piri advice please?

Post by The Rushbury Pig » Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:29 pm

Hi there,

The breed standard does say the pire pire should be well attached and if you were showing this would be looked at more critically.

With respect to breeding the essential thing is that genetically your boar will carry the fact that he had two Pire Pire in his genetic make up despite the loss of one.

Great to hear he is good little chap in all other aspects as this is very important in a breeding boar and I can see you appreciate that :D

Interestingly we have found that although there are many more of our breeding pigs with Pire Pire the number of piglets born with them has not changed. This indicates that it is not a straight forward genetic relationship and so we should look at other attributes very critically as you have clearly done :D
Cheerio for now, Sam Jones :-)

BKKPS Chairperson
Email : samjonesbkkps@aol.com
Tel: 0845 489 5863, leaving a message for the secretary who will forward to me.