Weed killer

General chat about kunekune pigs
SarahN

Weed killer

Post by SarahN » Fri Aug 07, 2015 7:25 pm

My field is slowly getting covered in rushes. Does anyone know of a weed killer I could use that doesn't involve keeping my three Kunes out for long. Apart from the field they only have a small enclosure that they use in winter.
Thanks.

simon

Re: Weed killer

Post by simon » Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:42 pm

I think some weedkillers have a withdrawal period of a week.

You could find a contractor who has a 'weedwiper' - a machine that coats long growth instead of spraying the entire field. But theres still a withdrawl period.

HappyHippy

Post by HappyHippy » Sun Aug 30, 2015 4:58 pm

Is it the rushes that grow in wet ground? If so, it'll be a battle to keep on top of them with weed killer.........drainage is really the only way to fix that unfortunately :(
Could you put some other stock on it when the pigs are in their winter quarters to mow everything right down? Horses/ponies would be good - as would cows. Sheep would also do a fab job but you'll have to consider the risks of clostridial disease/copper levels with them and the pigs.
I don't use any weed killers in my fields with livestock so can't advise on that unfortunately, sorry!

DelMar Kunekunes

Post by DelMar Kunekunes » Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:17 am

If not too large an area we use a liquid propane torch. No herbicides involved whatsoever.
Recommended method for certified organic producers here.

Cheapo Chinese import available to us in the States. Not familiar with what you might find comparably available in the UK. Also comes in handy for ground hornets, deicing walks and frozen in gates.

http://www.harborfreight.com/propane-to ... 91037.html