How do I register a pig

General chat about kunekune pigs
Bobbins

How do I register a pig

Post by Bobbins » Wed May 20, 2015 3:46 pm

Hello, just wondering how I register a pig? I bought a young gilt from a breeder last year. She does not have an ear tag or anything to identify her. According to the DEFRA website she needs a tattoo (??), but I have an older kune who is not tattooed, so I am a little confused. Can someone please help me? Thanks :)

The Rushbury Pig

Re: How do I register a pig

Post by The Rushbury Pig » Thu May 21, 2015 8:55 pm

Hello there,

Unfortunately you cannot register the pig as a pedigree pig yourself. The breeder must register and tag the pig with the BKKPS before they leave the breeder's holding. This type of registering is for PEDIGREE pigs and is not linked to the requirements of defra.

The rules for tagging pigs with defra that you mention are those required as a legal requirements when moving pigs from one holding to another or to an abattoir. This tag requires you to have your herd number on, it does not require you to have the pedigree number on.

Do you want to register the pig as pedigree or is it because you wish to move the pig?
Cheerio for now, Sam Jones :-)

BKKPS Chairperson
Email : samjonesbkkps@aol.com
Tel: 0845 489 5863, leaving a message for the secretary who will forward to me.

The Rushbury Pig

Post by The Rushbury Pig » Thu May 21, 2015 8:59 pm

I realise you are asking about tattooing - the rules are the same for either.

We don't tattoo kunekune for registering as pedigree we ear tag.

Please email me if all this is just confusing and I will try and explain :?

BKKPS Chairperson

Bobbins

Post by Bobbins » Thu May 21, 2015 9:10 pm

Thanks for your help. After reading some info on the website I now realise that she can't be registered as a pedigree. So I just need to register her with DEFRA and get an ear tag for her. If she's not being moved, does this mean I don't need to get her registered? Do you know approximately how much it costs? Thank you.

The Rushbury Pig

Post by The Rushbury Pig » Fri May 22, 2015 11:08 am

You will have a holding number for your property and when your pigs arrived you will have phoned Animal Health who will have issued you with a herd number - for example mine is UK FN1344.

If your pig is over 12 months old and is going to be moved OR is going to an abbattoir then you need to tag the pig with a tag that has your herd number on. So a pig of mine over 12 months that i move to another holding has a tag with UK FN1344 on it. If they were 7 months old and I were taking them to an abbattoir then they would need a metal ear tag with UK FN1344 on it. If they were 7 months and I were moving them to another holding they would not need a tag on but I would spray with a spray can or similar to identify them.

If you are not moving them they don't need to be tagged.

You can simply buy tags by taking your letter with your herd mark on to a local agricultural merchant who will order tags or you can order them online from somewhere like Allflex.

They cost a couple of pounds or so for individual tags but you will need to buy a tagger if you can't borrow one from someone. These cost £15 to £20.

Hope that makes sense :wink:

BKKPS Chairperson

Bobbins

Post by Bobbins » Sun May 24, 2015 10:28 am

Thank you Sam, yes that all makes perfect sense. When the pig came here the movement was all recorded online. I'm assuming I can log into the AML website to get the herd number. Thanks again :)