Help with my 2 x sows

General chat about kunekune pigs
lorraine peachey

Help with my 2 x sows

Post by lorraine peachey » Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:25 pm

Peggy and Primrose My 2 sows have been together since Feb 2013 and always got on, I have just purchase 2 x boars 1 is castrated I am not planning to mate until December Primrose is in Season at the moment and the other sow peggy who isn't in season at the moment has stared to attack her never seen her like this so I am having to keep them apart which is sad .Any advise ?.
Lorraine
p.s Is there any courses on kunekune pig keeping/ breeding ?

wendy scu

Re: Help with my 2 x sows

Post by wendy scu » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:44 pm

Hi Lorraine,
it is the introduction of the boar that is the problem - they know he's there and they are hormonal. keep them apart when one is in season but they should be fine when not in season.

I run courses on keeping kunes and a dedicated breeding course. my website is www.bartonhill.co.uk
i have also written a book - Small Scale Outdoor Pig Breeding which you may find useful : http://www.accidentalsmallholder.net/bo ... -breeding/

The Rushbury Pig

Re: Help with my 2 x sows

Post by The Rushbury Pig » Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:55 pm

Hi Lorraine,

Hope your girls have settled a little, I agree with what Wendy has said.

In addition I would also make the following suggestions, If you bought your pigs from a breeder who is a member of the Society, and local to you, they should be able to offer you good advice and support with these issues.

If you don't mind me asking, which region are you in as we have a Regional Rep in your area that can offer advice and support to you whilst you go through the process of getting your sows in pig and also as they approach farrowing and beyond.

If you would like to go down that route then don't hesitate to email me on: Samjonesbkkps@aol.com and I can forward you to a Regional Rep if there is one appointed for your region.
Cheerio for now, Sam Jones :-)

BKKPS Chairperson
Email : samjonesbkkps@aol.com
Tel: 0845 489 5863, leaving a message for the secretary who will forward to me.