Clarification about new BKKPS ear tags

General chat about kunekune pigs
repatexpat

Clarification about new BKKPS ear tags

Post by repatexpat » Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:05 pm

Sorry to be dim but want to double-check details before ordering the new tags from Allflex. For reference our herdmark = GJ3032.

In the newsletter, it states that the new KK "tag number will be in the format UK1234-0001".
Q1: Is "UK" a replacement for "GJ" in our DEFRA herd mark or should the "GJ" be included on the tag or is herd mark nothing to do with the new eartag number?

I'm trying to determine where to start the numbering sequence for the new BKKPS tags.
We've previously had fattener pigs (including non-pedigree kunekunes) that were numbered with metal tags using the format "GJ3032-15" and we have a stock of these (GJ3032-16 to GJ3032-24). I would like to keep using these for future movements.
Q2: What is the relationship between the metal tag number and the BKKPS tag number? Do they have to correspond?

I have an old-style green "kunekune 5507" tag for my pedigree sow, Celeste (bred elsewhere). I have not put this tag into her ear yet ( :oops: )).
Q3: Can I use one of the new BKKPS tags from Allflex and, if yes, does the new tag number have to match her old number (5597)?
Q4: If new new tag number doesn't have to match, do I notify BKKPS registrar to link her new tag number with her herdbook number (6023)?

Sorry so detailed and thanks in advance for the clarification!
V
Gloucestershire

simon

Re: Clarification about new BKKPS ear tags

Post by simon » Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:49 pm

The tag format should read:
UKAB1234-0001 or UKGJ3032-0001 for your herd. Just a typing error.

I think you are allowed to start the number sequence again from 0001 if you want to. Maybe someone else can confirm that. But you can also continue if you like. What you don't want is two different pigs wandering around with the same ear tag details, so if your prior sequences were just used for fatteners then there shouldn't be a problem.

There is no relationship between the metal tag and the BKKPS tag. You don't need to put a metal tag in except the day you take it to an abbatoir.

If you have an old style tag for your sow put it in her ear and don't put a new tag in her. The tag on a pig should match the ear tag details on the pedigree certificate.

repatexpat

Post by repatexpat » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:03 pm

Thanks, Simon! No urgency to order if I have to use the old tag for Celeste -- I won't have piglet ears needing tags until the autumn (cross-fingers). I now see that adding the UK prefix to the herd mark effectively makes the new format unique (but I'll wait to see if there are other comments about the numbering sequence). Cheers!
Gloucestershire

HappyHippy

Post by HappyHippy » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:53 pm

Your Allflex tags will be pedigree tags (the metal ones are slaughter tags and shouldn't be used for permanent ID) so there's no reason that you can't start from number 1 again.
As Simon says, providing the ear tag in the pig matches the number on the pedigree registration certificate there's no issue.
HTH
Karen