my kunekune killed and ate a chicken,any experience of this

General chat about kunekune pigs
wendy scu
Posts: 1076
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:48 pm
Location: Herefordshire
Contact:

Re: my kunekune killed and ate a chicken,any experience of t

Post by wendy scu » Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:53 pm

Very sorry to hear about the loss of your sow and well done for keeping all the litter well.

my first thought was that the rabbit may have been poisoned - my father lost a dog once which had eaten a rabbit which died of paraquat poisoning, however, i am inclined to think the rabbit was coincidence and the infection was something totally disconnected. this opens it up to any number of things but the most common in my experience has always been chest infections. very easily contracted, more often than not, unnoticeable and often fatal.

Himleyku
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:51 pm

Re: my kunekune killed and ate a chicken,any experience of t

Post by Himleyku » Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:06 am

Thanks for that. All our pigs have their arcs within their paddocks, maybe she got out very early morning and couldn't then get back to shelter so got cold/wet, though she wasn't snuffling. She came running up to my truck when I got back after the morning school run, carrying rabbit like a retriever with a stick, but she could have been in the long grass earlier unseen by me, once out of her fenced paddock she'd have 25 acres to hide in. It wasn't a wet day but maybe the dew on the long grass (especially as had a big, bare udder due to suckling).

Post Reply